- Windows Update is an essential component of your OS designed to facilitate the integration of security patches and allow you to enjoy newly released features.
- However, the process is not always smooth - here are 2 easy methods to fix related error 0xc1900208.
- Check out more handy solutions in our Windows Update Hub.
- Don't be shy to explore our Windows 10 Guides for more in-depth information.
The error 0xc1900208 can appear while you’re trying to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10. This happens when there is a software on the computer that is incompatible with the latest Windows 10 build.
As a result, you won’t be able to upgrade at all. In today’s article, we’re going to show you how to fix error 0xc1900208 once and for all.
How to fix Microsoft error code 0xc1900208 for good
1. Uninstall the incompatible apps
Some antivirus applications are known to cause error 0xc1900208. However, you can fix this problem simply by finding and removing the problematic applications.
- Open the File Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E and paste this C: WindowsPanther in the bar and press Enter.
- Right in the folder, search for the Compat*.xml file and open it.
- You will find the name of the app that is incompatible with your system.
- Uninstall that application from your PC and try to upgrade again.
Bear in mind that some applications might leave leftover files that can cause future issues, therefore it’s important to remove those files as well.
The best method to do that is to use specialized uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller.
If you’re going for third-party software, you might as well go for the best in the niche.
Revo Uninstaller is a powerful removal tool that will take care of the uninstall process end-to-end, making sure that there are no software remnants left behind to clutter your system.
The tool raises the stake by bringing additional features to the table, depending on the subscription plan you will choose – such as back-up features and clean-up utilities to sanitize your PC.
To top it all, you get a whopping 60-day money-back guarantee to test its excellent capacities to the extent of your choosing, completely risk-free.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Extended scanning for software leftovers following a standard uninstall
- Integrated Browsers Extensions Manager
- Forced Uninstall and Quick/Multiple Uninstall features available
- Additional clean-up utilities included
- Real-time system monitoring
- Lightweight portable version available that does not require installation
Revo UninstallerUninstall, remove software leftovers, and sanitize your system with a powerful all-in-one tool!
2. Reset the Windows Update components
Another way to fix error 0xc1900208 is to reset Windows Update components. This is quite simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- When the Command Prompt opens, run the following commands:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- Enter the commands below to create the backup of SoftwareDistribution directory:
ren %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%system32catroot2 catroot2.bak
- Use these commands:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
- Restart your computer and try to update.
We hope these solutions were able to help you fix the error 0xc1900208 on your PC.
Let us know how it went for you and feel free to share any other possible solutions via the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in July 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.