The app has now received a big update, which makes it ready to work with the 3D Scan app, which is great news for those involved in this industry. Of course, the update also brought a bunch of other smaller fixes and minor improvements.
Microsoft updates 3D Builder app
The 3D Builder app can now import webcam and other images, as well, which according to feedback coming from users, has been one of the most awaited features. Furthermore, another incremental upgrade is the fact that users can now add bases to uneven objects.
Along with this update, Microsoft has released a new how to page on its official Windows 10 website which explains how to use 3D Builder and 3D Scan for Windows. Support for the 3D Scan app now allows to scan yourself in full color, which is a great feature.
Here are the main features of the app:
- 3D Builder provides everything you need to make any 3D content printable.
- Open 3MF, STL, OBJ, PLY, FBX, WRL (VRML), DAE, 3DS, and DXF files.
- Save as 3MF, STL, PLY, or OBJ files.
- Clean up models by smoothing and simplifying.
- Automatically repair models so you can print them.
- Print directly to supported 3D printers using multiple materials or order your model through the 3D Systems Cubify service.
- Use the 3D Scan app to scan yourself in full color.
- Take pictures with your webcam and make them 3D, or use BMP, JPG, PNG, and TGA files.
- Add a base to uneven objects.
- Emboss any model with text or images.
- Merge, intersect, or subtract objects from each other, or slice them into pieces.
If you want to give it a try, you first need to consult the list with the supported 3D printers. The app currently works on Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 and if you’re interested to give it a try, go ahead and download it from the Windows Store.