- Falling in love with the abstract graphic style is nothing out of the ordinary. We can easily guess your intention, but do note that not all software solutions can capture the very essence of abstract art.
- With Corel Painter and Synthetic Studio Artist, it's relatively easy to make good looking abstract art pieces.
- However, Adobe Illustrator makes creating abstract art a real joy. Illustrator is the market-leading vector drawing software, so give it a try.
- Don’t hesitate to bookmark our Graphic & Design Software Hub for constant up to date information and tricks.
If you’re looking for a powerful software for abstract art, this article may help you. There are quite a lot of tools for creating abstract art on the market, and it’s difficult to pick the right one.
We used a series of criteria in the selection process, including user reviews, versatility, ease of use, PC compatibility, and more.
What’s the best software for abstract art?
1. Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator comes as a highly-polished application for creating vector graphics for print or the web. If you happen to lack photography skills and you’re more into abstract art, you can’t go wrong with Illustrator.
Firstly, if you’re familiar with other Adobe apps, keep in mind that the interface looks quite similar. Therefore, creating abstract line art should come as no challenge.
The tool panel is located to the left of the screen. Each time you select a tool, different options available for that tool appear at the top.
Use the Pen Tool to draw lines, then open the Gradient Panel to set your color markers and adjust the parameters to your liking.
To really get the most out of Adobe Illustrator, you’ll need to get accustomed to its drawing tools and all those presets that modify the workspace to better meet your needs.
Be sure that you’ll master creating logos, icons, or abstract art in no time.
Take a look at some of the most important key features included in the program:
- The Pen tool is one of the most used tools to create all kinds of designs
- A clean and fully customizable interface that enables you to capture the essence of abstract art
- Intuitive troubleshooting when opening or saving files
- Countless effects help you perfectly express your messages
- Learning Illustrator is very easy as there are lots of tutorials to take a peek at
2. Corel Painter
Corel Painter is an impressive digital art software that will help you create stunning masterpieces. The tool is highly addictive, we spent more than 3 hours playing on the canvas after installing it.
Every stroke leads to the next as if the tool were able to push a magic button and let your inspiration run wild.
Corel Painter is a complete software and can satisfy even the most demanding artists. There are dozens of additional brushes that you can buy, each dedicated to particular drawing styles.
Long story short, Corel Painter lets you create fine abstract digital art that will make 18-century painters envy you.
⇒ Click here to get Corel Painter from Corel’s special offers page
3. Synthetic Studio Artist
With Synthetic’s Studio Artist software anyone can create great art. This is the place where art and science collide, allowing you to generate stunning pieces of visual art.
The tool relies on artificial intelligence to automatically paint and draw.
Here’s how to use the Synthetic Studio Artist software:
- Pick a source photo and then select the canvas type that you want to use.
- Select a preset (there are more than 1,000 presets available) and hit the Action button.
- The tool will start painting an impressive piece of art using the source image as a model.
- You can then add the finishing touches using a mouse or pen.
Most importantly, you can use Studio Artist to apply the same process to videos as well. You can try out Synthetic’s Studio Artist 5.0 software for free.
You can also buy Studio Artist 5.0 as is worth every cent.
4. Abstract Curves Software
The tool offers a bevy of interesting design features and presets that you can use to generate original, intricate images.
You can superimpose the images you generate on your own photos using the Transparent Background option. You can then use your creations as backgrounds, wallpapers, icons, or simply add them to your artist portfolio.
Abstract Curves works both as a stand-alone tool, as well as a plug-in for PhotoShop.
5. Art Rage
As its name suggests, Art Rage is not your regular art software. Abstract art has often been misunderstood as a manifestation of angry, sometimes crazy artists.
This tool seems to actually embrace this idea, allowing you to create unusual pieces of art.
Art Rage is a very versatile tool, being used for traditional style art, graphic design, picture book illustrations caricatures, abstracts, photo editing, special effects, and more.
The software comes with a very simple and user-intuitive interface, making it suitable both for beginners and advanced users.
As a matter of fact, if you haven’t used Art Rage before, there are plenty of tutorials that you can watch to get familiar with the tool.
Art Rage 5 is the latest version of the tool and comes equipped with basically all the features you need to create true masterpieces:
- Customizable digital brushes, including custom brush blenders, stickers and sticker spray
- Real color blending and an adjustable metallic level
- BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG and TIFF support, and much, much more
⇒ You can buy Art Rage right away
The software tools listed above are all excellent tools for creating abstract images. Select the one that best suits your needs.
For example, if you’re a professional abstract art creator, we recommend Synthetic’s Studio Artist 5.0 or Corel Painter. If abstract painting is only a hobby for you, then download Art Rage or Abstract Curves.
FAQ: Learn more about digital art
- What software do digital artists use?
Digital artists often use Adobe Illustrator. Well, it has been Adobe’s flagship vector graphics editing program for over 30 years, so don’t miss your chance to grab it.
- Are digital artists real artists?
Digital art has gained a lot of popularity over the last few years and digital artists are considered real artists nowadays.
- What app do artists use to draw?
Adobe Illustrator, Art Rage, and Corel Painter are some of the most popular apps used by artists to turn their ideas into reality. Check out this dedicated list for more options.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in July 2017 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.