- It may be required to adjust the fan speed on an Acer laptop under certain circumstances.
- To control Acer laptop fan speed, you can use different software or do it manually from your BIOS.
- Simply navigate to the BIOS menu and select the appropriate fan speed setting.
Your Acer laptop uses a fan to cool down the Central Processing Unit (CPU). This stops your laptop from overheating.
Every CPU fan has a specific speed, measured with RPM (Rounds Per Minute), that is set by its manufacturer. However, there are times when you want to control your Acer laptop fan speed.
This article shows you how you can achieve this.
What is the system cooling policy?
System Cooling Policy enables you to choose the cooling method you want for your Windows-based computer. There are two cooling methods available.
- Active Setting: The active setting ensures the best performance by increasing your Acer laptop fan speed before slowing the CPU
- Passive Setting: The passive setting helps make the fan quieter when it is always running by slowing the CPU before increasing the Acer laptop fan speed
Check out this article if you want to reduce fan noise in Windows 10.
Before we get into the methods, it’s important to note that you can use them to control both the Acer Nitro 5 and the Acer Aspire 7, as well as any other Acer laptop.
So, if you’re googling how to control Acer Nitro 5 fan speed or Acer Aspire 7 fan speed, look no further.
What should I do to control Acer’s laptop fan speed?
1. Change system cooling policy
- First, click on the Start menu, search for Control Panel, and click on Open.
- Then, click on Hardware and Sound and then Power Options.
- Click on Change Plan Settings.
- Then click on Change Advanced Power Settings.
- After that, under the Advanced Settings tab, click on the plus symbol under Processor Power Management.
- Choose System Cooling Policy from the menu. Click on the down arrow under System Cooling Policy.
- Finally, select Active from the menu to increase the speed of your CPU fan. Then, click on the OK button
2. Change BIOS settings
- Start/Restart your Acer laptop.
- Then, based on your motherboard manufacturer, you will need to repeatedly press the Del, F2, F10, and F12 keys to load the BIOS menu.
- Using the arrow keys, head over to the Monitor or Status option.
- Next, open Fan Speed Control then, select Fan Control Setting.
- Choose the fan you want to change its speed and then choose your desired speed from the list. Press Enter and save the settings.
3. Use Acer fan control software
Using Acer fan control software helps you control Acer laptop fan speed inside your Windows environment.
However, its effectiveness is limited by your firmware. To control fan speed in an Acer Nitro laptop, you can use NitroSense.
NitroSense software enables you to check your CPU and GPU temperatures. You can also adjust fan speed and power plan settings.
To control fan speed in an Acer Aspire 7 laptop, you can use Acer Quick Access.
It is a software tool developed by Acer that lets you control different settings, such as laptop fan speed, from within your Windows environment.
How to set the CPU fan to run all the time?
- Start or Restart your Acer laptop.
- Based on your motherboard manufacturer, you will need to repeatedly press the Del, F2, F10, and F12 keys to load the BIOS menu.
- Find the Fan Settings option. It most probably is under the Hardware Monitor or H/W Monitor menu.
- Choose the Smart Fan option and change it to disabled. This will make your fan run at full speed all the time. To lower the speed, you need to lower the voltage using the CPU Fan Voltage setting.
- Choose Save Settings and Exit. This will restart your laptop and your fan will run all the time afterward.
The fan speed is normally set with Smart Fan Control and it adjusts the fan speed automatically based on the CPU temperature.
This reduces the computer noise but makes it more likely to get hot. Setting the desired fan speed from the BIOS is by far the most reliable way to control the Acer laptop fan speed.
Although software such as SpeedFan can help you gain more control over your Acer laptop, they are restricted by your firmware settings.
If your CPU fan is not spinning, check out this article.
Let us know whether you were able to control the fan speed on your Acer laptop in the comments section below.