Full Fix: Alarm sound not working in Windows 10
As time goes by personal computers evolve more and eliminate the need for other equipment like TV’s, a home theatre setup, audio stations and even alarm clocks. But PC’s aren’t always that reliable and when you’re trusting it with your daily schedule and job you want to make sure it works as expected. In this article I’ll show you how to troubleshoot problems with the Alarm & Clock application in Windows 10.
Alarm sound not working on Windows 10, how to fix it?
If your alarm sound is not working properly in Windows 10, that can be a big problem, and speaking of problems, here are some similar issues that users reported:
- Windows 10 timer not working – This can be an annoying problem, and in most cases you can fix it simply by installing the latest updates.
- Windows 10 alarms not going off – If your alarm isn’t going off, the problem might be your notifications. To fix this problem, make sure that all your notifications are enabled and working properly.
- Alarm sound not working Windows 10 ASUS, Dell, HP, Vaio – This problem can occur on almost any PC brand, and if you encounter this issue, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- Windows 10 Alarms and Clock not working – This problem can occur for various reasons, and if you have any issues, you can simply reinstall Alarms and Clock app to fix them.
Quick solution to fix various PC issues
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2 : Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing alarm problems in Windows 10
- Step 3 : Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues.
Solution 1 – Check sound card driver
Many users complained that sound alarm is not working on their PC. This can be a problem, and before we can start fixing it, it’s advised to check if your sound is working properly. If you can hear the audio in your media player, it means that your sound card is working properly.
To ensure that audio issues don’t appear on your system, it’s highly advised to update your audio drivers. You can do that manually by searching for the audio drivers for your sound card. However, this can be a bit tedious, so a faster solution would be to use a third-party software such as TweakBit Driver Updater to automatically download all the missing drivers with just a single click. It will also keep you safe from downloading and installing the wrong driver versions, thus potentially damaging your system.
After your drivers are up to date, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 2 – Check the volume and speakers
The sound volume is something we fiddle with all the time, turning it up when listening to a song and turning it down when we want to concentrate on work. It is always a good thing to check that it is at the correct level before setting up the alarm.
If you’re using external speakers you might also want to check their volume status and that they are turned on. It’s easy to forget them turned off when you don’t use them. Also, check that headphones aren’t connected to the computer as the alarm sound might play on them and will be hard to hear.
Solution 3 – Activate the alarm
Alarms need to be activated in order for them to work and even though this seems like a logical step you might forget about it if you’re in a rush or very tired. The status of each alarm is displayed on the right side of the Alarm & Clock application as you can see in the image below.
Solution 4 -Prevent your PC from hibernating or going to sleep
Alarms won’t work if your computer isn’t turned on. They will also won’t work if you put it in sleep mode or to hibernate. You could activate a timer inside your BIOS to wake up your computer at the correct time but not all computers support this feature and you might also need to login to Windows before alarms can be processed. You can check your power options by clicking on the Start menu button and selecting Settings.
In the Settings window select System and then Power & Sleep. Make sure that the computer is set to Never go to sleep, like in the image below.
If you’re using a laptop and you usually keep the lid down, make sure it doesn’t go to sleep when you close it. You can do this from the same window by clicking on Additional power settings and then selecting Choose what closing the lid does from the left pane.
From here check that Do nothing is selected as an action for When I close the lid.
If you’re using a laptop or a tablet also make sure that it is plugged in so it won’t shutdown when the battery level gets too low.
Solution 5 – Make sure that your notifications are enabled
Many users reported that their alarm sound is not working on Windows 10. This can occur if your notifications are disabled for some reason. However, you can fix this problem easily by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app. The fastest way to do that is to use Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Now navigate to the System section.
- From the menu on the left, pick Notifications & actions. Enable all options like on the screenshot below.
- Now scroll down to Get notifications from these senders section and make sure that notifications for Alarms & Clock are enabled.
After doing that, the notifications should be completely enabled and the problem will be resolved entirely.
Solution 6 – Reinstall Alarm and Clock app
If alarm sound is not working at all on your Windows 10, the problem might be the corrupted installation. Sometimes Alarm and Clock app might become corrupted, and the only way to fix the problem is to reinstall it. This is a slightly advanced procedure, but you can do it by following these steps:
- Open PowerShell as an administrator. To do that, press Windows Key + S, type powershell, right-click Windows PowerShell from the list and choose Run as administrator.
- When PowerShell starts, run the get-appxpackage *Microsoft.WindowsAlarms* | remove-appxpackage command to remove the Alarm and Clock app from your PC.
- After the app is removed, simply head over to the Windows Store and download it again.
Once you reinstall the Alarm and Clock app, the problem should be resolved and the alarm sound should start working again.
Solution 7 – Install Media Feature pack
In case you don’t know, there are several versions of Windows 10 available, and versions for European and Korean market lack certain features. Sometimes due to lack of these features, the alarm sound might not work properly on your PC.
However, these features are available for download in form of Media Feature Pack. To fix this issue, you just have to download Media Feature Pack from Microsoft’s website and the problem should be resolved.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to download the media feature pack that matches your system architecture or else you won’t be able to install it. After you install Media Feature pack, the problem should be resolved. Some users are suggesting to reinstall Alarm and Clock app after installing Media Feature pack, so you might want to try that as well.
Solution 8 – Try changing the alarm sound
According to users, sometimes the certain alarm sounds won’t work with the Alarm and Clock app. If that the case, you won’t hear any alarm sound when your alarm rings. This can be an annoying issue, but simply change your alarm sound and check if that helps.
According to users, only the default alarm sound works for them, so be sure to try using it as your alarm sound.
Solution 9 – Make sure that Focus Assist is turned off
Focus Assist is a great feature that will turn off all notifications and alarms and allow you to focus on your work. Since this feature will disable all notifications while it’s active, you might want to try disabling Focus Assist entirely.
This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Right-click the Action Center icon in the bottom right corner.
- When the context menu appears, choose Focus assist and make sure that it’s set to Off.
After doing that, this feature should be disabled and you’ll be able to hear your alarm without any problems. If you want to keep using this feature, you can select Alarms only option and you’ll be able to hear your alarms without any problems.
Solution 10 – Install the latest updates
If you keep having problems with alarm sound on your Windows 10 PC, perhaps you should be able to fix it simply by installing the latest updates. To do that, you just need to follow these simple steps:
- Open the Settings app and go to the Update & Security section.
- In the right pane, click Check for updates button. If any updates are available, they’ll be downloaded automatically in the background.
Once you download the updates, restart your PC to install them. Once your system is up to date, check if the problem with alarm sound is still there.
Solution 11 – Try a different application
If all else fails you could also try using a different application. If you’re connected to the Windows Store you can download Alarm Clock HD by clicking here. Its a nice little application with great feedback and it can even be installed on ARM devices running Windows RT.
If you want to go the old fashioned way then you can use an application called Free Alarm Clock. As the name suggests the application is free of charge and can be downloaded from CNET by clicking here.
If you’re still facing problems with alarms in Windows 10 please use the comment section below to give us more details so we can help you fix them.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 at the beginning of 2020. Then the software giant will stop releasing patch updates for Win 7. As such, […]
In the past, if you wanted to watch a movie at home, you had to use a clunky DVD player and the TV you had […]
It seems like 2019 is going to be a busy year for the Surface team and Microsoft. The tech giant has the most interesting update […]