- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a critically-acclaimed simulation game created for the Nintendo Switch.
- However, its popularity determined players to find a way to try in on PC as well.
- We have plenty of similar guides in our dedicated Emulator Software Hub, so check that out too.
- Avid gamers should also check out our dedicated Gaming page for more great articles.
Those of you that have a Nintendo Switch console back at home have surely heard about, and maybe even bought Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
This life simulation video game lets you manage a community of anthropomorphic animals in real-time, and it has already garnered much praise having sold over 5.000.000 units in its first month since launch.
However, the problem with this much-beloved game is that it is, for the moment, a Nintendo Switch exclusive.
However, PC gamers want to play this title as well, so finding a way to make the game work on the Windows platform has become something very sought after.
That is precisely why we’ve created the tutorial below so that you can enjoy the latest entry in the Animal Crossing from the comfort of your PC.
Note: Before proceeding with the guide below, you will need to already have a copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons installed on a Nintendo Switch console.
How do I play Animal Crossing: New Horizons on PC?
- Download the OpenAL client here
- Once the client is downloaded, extract and install it on your PC
- Download the Ryujinx from here
- Extract it on your PC
- Open the newly extracted folder and double-click Ryujinx.exe
- This will get the emulator running
Now that the Emulator is running, it is time to add Animal crossing to its library:
- Press File
- Select Open Ryujinx folder
- Open the System Folder
- Drag and drop the Prod.keys file inside
- The Prod.keys are copyright files that you need to dump in your PC from within a Nintendo Switch
- Close and re-open the emulator
- Go to Tools
- Select Install Firmware
- Choose Install a firmware from an XCI or ZIP
- Select any XCI that you had in your Nintendo Switch click Open
- You should receive a prompt telling you that you need to install a firmware update
- Any version is good as long as it is above 5.1.0
- Go to Options > Settings
- Select your Timezone, System Region and Language
- Select Browse
- Navigate to where your Nintendo Switch games have been dumped (backed up)
- Click Save, and now all your games should be displayed correctly within your emulator
- Close the emulator
- Make sure your game controller is connected to your PC
- Double-click the Animal Crossing: New Horizons icon to launch the game.
By following these steps, you should now be able to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons on your PC without any restrictions.
If you liked our guide, let us know by leaving us a message in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Is Animal Crossing: New Horizons worth it?
New Horizons is the fifth entry in the Animal Crossing franchise, and it is by far the most popular of them all.
- Will Animal Crossing: New Horizons be on 3ds?
Unfortunately, no. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is available only as a Nintendo Switch exclusive.
- What is the point of Animal Crossing: New Horizons?
In Animal Crossing: New Horizons you can explore, craft, and take care of a growing community of anthropomorphic animals.