ARK: Survival Evolved issues on Windows 10 [GAMER’S GUIDE]
ARK: Survival Evolved is a popular action game that gained its massive popularity during the last years. Of course, ARK: Survival Evolved has its fair share of issues, and today we’ll see how to fix those issues in Windows 10.
ARK: Survival Evolved players have experienced low frame rate, graphical glitches, crashes, freezing loading screens, and many others, so let’s see how to fix these problems.
How can I solve ARK crashes, low FPS and glitches:
- Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables
- Cancel the download or restart Steam
- Update your drivers
- Run the game in compatibility mode
- Make sure that you’re running 64-bit version of Windows 10
- Set your View Distance to Epic
- Change the Launch Options
- Select a PhysX processor
- Change TdrDelay using Registry Editor
- Use different screen resolution
- Use official servers
- Change Nvidia Control Panel settings
- Change the game mode and update your audio drivers
- Add -fullscreen to launch options
Solution 1 – Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables
It has been reported that ARK: Survival Evolved comes with certain graphical glitches such as green water and black sky. This looks quite unnatural in the game, but there’s a way to fix that:
- Go to ..steamappscommmonark_CommonRedistvcredist.
- Run all the installers that you have in that folder to reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables.
- After you’ve done that, you start the game and check if the issue has been resolved.
Solution 2 – Cancel the download or restart Steam
This is a minor problem, but it has been reported that the game gets stuck downloading at 99%.
To fix this, you can simply cancel the download and the game will automatically finish downloading, or you can simply restart Steam.
Solution 3 – Update your drivers
This makes the game almost unplayable, and so far, the only solution is to update your drivers and try to run the game again.
Updating drivers manually is very annoying so we recommend you to download Tweakbit’s Driver Updater(100% safe and tested by us) to do it automatically.
Thus, you will prevent file loss and even permanent damage to your computer by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
Solution 4 – Run the game in compatibility mode
If you’re getting Appcrash error while trying to run ARK: Survival Evolved, you should try running the game in compatibility mode. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Right click ARK: Survival Evolved shortcut and choose Properties.
- Go to Compatibility tab.
- Check Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the list.
- Click Apply and OK to save your changes.
- Try running the game again.
Solution 5 – Make sure that you’re running 64-bit version of Windows 10
If the game won’t start on your computer, this might be due to the 32-bit version of Windows 10.
ARK: Survival Evolved is designed to work with 64-bit operating systems. If you’re using a 32-bit operating system and you really want to play ARK: Survival Evolved, maybe you should consider switching to a 64-bit version of Windows.
Solution 6 – Set your View Distance to Epic
If you’re having frame rate issues while playing ARK: Survival Evolved, maybe you should change View Distance to Epic in game options.
We have to admit that this solution seems a bit unusual, but it seems that developers have optimized Epic settings in the game, and users have reported better performance after changing View Distance to Epic.
This might not work for you, but it’s a still solution worth trying.
Solution 7 – Change the Launch Options
Another way to fix frame rate issues in ARK: Survival Evolved is to change the Launch Options of the game. To do this follow these instructions:
- Open Steam and find ARK: Survival Evolved in your library.
- Right click ARK: Survival Evolved and choose Properties.
- In the General tab click the Set the Launch Options button.
- Enter -USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4 -d3d10 in the input field and save the changes.
We have to point out that ARK: Survival Evolved is quite a demanding game, and when you run it you’ll have a list of options to choose from.
If you have 16GB or more of RAM just select Play ARK: Survival Evolved. If you have 4 to 8GB of RAM select Launch ARK (Low Memory 4GB). In case you have less than 4GB RAM select Launch ARK (Extremely Low Memory).
In addition, you might want to experiment with different values of graphical settings in order to get the best performance.
Solution 8 – Select a PhysX processor
If you own an Nvidia card, it has been reported that you can fix random crashes with the game by selecting a PhysX processor in Nvidia Control Panel:
- Open Nvidia Control Panel.
- Go to 3D Settings > Set PhysX configuration.
- Select PhysX processor and choose your graphic card instead of auto-select option.
- Save the changes and try running the game again.
Solution 9 – Change TdrDelay using Registry Editor
TDR stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery, and this feature is in charge to restart your graphic card if the system doesn’t receive any response from the graphic card for set amount of time.
The default time is 2 seconds, and if the system doesn’t get a response from your graphic card in 2 seconds, it will restart the graphic card and crash your game. This can be quite unpleasant, but there’s way to change that:
- Start Registry editor by pressing Windows Key + R and typing regedit in the input field. Press Enter or click OK to run Registry Editor.
- In the left panel navigate to the following key:
- Now in the right pane you need to create a new DWORD if you own 32-bit version of Windows or QWORD if you use 64-bit version of Windows. Name the new DWORD or QWORD TdrDelay.
- Now double click the TdrDelay and change its value to 8 or 10.
- Close Registry Editor and try running the game again.
If you can’t edit your registry, follow the steps in this dedicated guide an learn how you can do it like a pro.
Solution 10 – Use different screen resolution
Some users have reported crashes, and it seems that these crashes have been caused by the game resolution. If you run the game in 1920×1080 resolution, you might want to try changing it.
According to users, changing the resolution from 1920×1080 to 1920×1200 has fixed the crashes. If you cannot use 1920×1200 resolution, feel free to use any lower resolution instead.
If you’re interested in how to create custom resolutions on Windows 10, check out this useful article and learn how to do it like an expert.
Solution 11 – Use official servers
If you are experiencing long loading screens, it’s advised that you switch to official servers because they are faster and more stable. If switching to official servers didn’t work for you maybe the issue is caused by your RAM.
As we already said, ARK: Survival Evolved is a demanding game, and it requires minimum of 4GB to run, so if you have less than 4GB of RAM you might experience some performance issues.
Solution 12 – Change Nvidia Control Panel settings
Low performance on Nvidia graphic cards can be a big problem, but you can easily fix it.
- Go to Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings.
- Disable some of the options such as Ambient Occlusion, Anti-aliasing etc.
- Save the changes and restart the game.
Solution 13 – Change the game mode and update your audio drivers
Running the game in Low Memory or Extremely Low Memory mode can sometimes cause issues with sound, and in worst case scenario you won’t get any sound while playing ARK: Survival Evolved.
To fix this you need to run game in normal mode, but if this problem persists in normal game mode, you need to update your audio drivers.
Solution 14 – Add -fullscreen to launch options
If you’re getting blank screen every time you start ARK: Survival Evolved maybe you could fix this by changing the game launch options.
Check Solution 7 to see how to change launch options and make sure that you add -fullscreen as the launch option.
As you can see, users are facing quite a lot issues in ARK: Survival Evolved. We hope this article was of at least some help, and that you were able to solve your problem.
In case you’re having problems with some other games in Windows 10, check out our Windows 10 games hub, for more solutions.
Don’t forget to tell us in the comments section below what other issues you encountered in ARK: Survival Evolved, and how did you dealt with them.
- Ark Survival Evolved won’t start on Xbox One? Use these fixes
- Here’s the complete ARK: Survival Evolved graphics settings guide
- ARK: Survival Evolved Server Not Responding error
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness
Anyone who knows a thing or two about PC gaming most likely knows what Steam is. This video game digital distribution platform is probably the […]