How do I backup Windows 10, 8.1 settings?
You might come to a point in time where you will have issues regarding your Windows 8.1 operating system. And if it is an unrecoverable issue then the settings that you made will normally get lost. But Windows 8.1 has the great feature that allows you to make a backup copy of your settings thus even if you get a blue screen for example or an error that you cannot get rid of you can anytime use the backup copy you created in Windows 8.1.
In the tutorial posted below, you will see a detailed step by step introduction on how to backup your Windows 8.1 settings. You should always be aware that even if you have this feature in Windows 8.1 it won’t start automatically and it will not record every modification that you make to the system settings unless you program it to do so.
Detailed tutorial on how to backup Windows 8.1 settings for your device:
1. Backup manually
- For this tutorial to work you will need to reboot the Windows 8.1 device, log in with the administrator user and follow the simple steps below.
- On the start screen in Windows 8.1 you will be presented with a “Desktop” icon, you will need to left click on it.
- Move the mouse cursor to the lower right corner of the screen to open the menu available in Windows 8.1.
- Left click on the icon that says “Settings”.
- In the “Settings” window you opened look for a “Control Panel” icon.
- Left click on the “Control Panel” icon.
- In the next window that opened up left click on the feature that says “System and Security”.
- In the “System and Security” window you opened you will need to left click on the “File History” feature present in the right side of the window.
- After you left clicked the “File History” feature you will need to look for the “Windows file recovery” option.
- Left click on the “File recovery” feature.
- In the “File recovery” feature you opened up left click on the “Create a system image” option in order to start the process of backing up your settings.
- From the menu and options, you are presented In this window you will have to choose the location where you want your backup settings to be stored.
Note: preferably store backup image to another partition or to an external storage device.
- Once you have selected to a destination, you only have to left click on the “next” button in the lower side of the screen.
- Left click on the “Start backup” button you will have on the screen.
- Now the process will start and it will take up to one hour depending on what you have installed on your Windows 8.1 device.
- After the process is completed left click on “Close”.
- Reboot the Windows 8.1 device and check if your backup has been created.
2. Backup using EaseUS Todo Backup
Using a third-party tool is a great idea as it has many useful features incorporated. You are safe from different errors and file loss as it creates a full backup package. We recommend EaseUS Todo Backup as one of the best on the market. How do you backup in this software:
- Download it here
- Install it
- Open EaseUS Todo Backup
- Click ‘File Backup’
- Select the files you want to backup (choose between ‘File type’ or ‘User defined’)
- Select your files and folders
- Select a destination (choose an external source)
- Customize your backup: compression, password, priority, etc.
- Start the backup process
So now perhaps you can sleep a little bit better tonight knowing that you have a full backup of your Windows 8.1 settings ready to use whenever you have an issue with the system. Write to us below in the Comments topic for any input regarding this article.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.