If you’re curious to see what’s going on with your car on the go, troubleshooting any sort of problem is impossible unless you use a proper diagnostic scan tool. If you own a car, be that Mercedes or a BMW, you should at least think of an OBD-II scanner to get quick access to specific info or erase that annoying check engine light.
Mercedes cars have a rather unique configuration in the OBD II serial parts. Therefore, many of them don’t work consistently with other non-BMW scan tools. The same goes for BMWs.
So, Mercedes or BMW owners who are looking to perform their own repairs and diagnostics might find their search a bit frustrating. That’s why we’re presenting you a list of the best OBD II scanners that you may pick up.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
Top deals on OBD II scanners for Mercedes and BMW
iCarsoft MERCEDES BENZ i980
- Supports full system diagnosis
- Allows to stream and graph data
- Using the scanner is very simple, even if you have never used one of these scanner tools before
- Cannot manage the battery
- Incompatible with Mac computers
iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz
If you’re looking to save a few bucks on the long run, then consider buying this smart professional diagnostic tool scanner.
- Designed to access all the different modules on your Mercedes-Benz
- The interface is fairly simple to use
- Multi-language support
- Requires PC and software install to update
- ICarsoft software update website registration issues
AUTOPHIX 7810 BMW
It works with a wide range of BMW models between 1998 to 2001, as well as all vehicles after 2001, including Mini and Rolls Royce ones with OBDII 16PIN.
- You may use it as an universal OBD II scanner for generic check engines, with reading and erasing codes on other brands cars
- Long cord which facilitates ease of use
- Life-time free updates
- Unable to perform advanced functions at times
- Its manual is literally bare bones. It lacks detailed explanations of functions and you only get some dull charts instead
FOXWELL NT510 for BMW
The Foxwell NT510 OBD2 Scanner is a professional diagnostic scan tool often described as the perfect solution for auto repair shops and not only. After all, it easily reads, diagnoses and even erases diagnostic trouble codes.
You’ll most likely appreciate the auto detect function included, so that it automatically pulls your bimmer’s VIN number during start up, as well as its ergonomic design.
- Compatible with all major systems of BMW vehicles, including engine, transmission, airbag, ABS, SAS, TPMS, and more
- Doesn’t requires a laptop to work
- Comes programmed for BMW, but other vehicles can be downloaded to the unit for an additional charge
- Lacks F series compatibility
- Some buyers complain that the unit fails to auto-detect the VIN, so they entered the VIN manually
- A little pricey for some buyers. If you own an auto repair shop instead, it might just be one of the most affordable professional scanners of the moment
FOXWELL NT520 PRO BMW
Since it delivers OE-level diagnosis for all electronic systems, technicians, specialized garages, independent repairs, or simply BMW enthusiasts praise this scan tool on forums.
- Very large, TFT screen which makes it easy to read the text
- Recommend for coding injectors
- Very versatile and user-friendly
- You need to pay extra for full support for non-BMW vehicles
Conclusion on OBD II scanners for Mercedes and BMW
There is no greater feeling of confidence than identifying an issue on your Mercedes or BMW and successfully fixing it with no extra professional help.
OBD II scanners are the best alternatives for those who like to do their own troubleshooting these days. We just hope that you are now able to make a decision and get the best product that fits your budget and needs.