Blocking certain websites is a necessity in some cases as you may not want children to access certain content on the internet, for instance. While it’s fairly easy to block websites on other browsers, this operation is not as obvious on Microsoft Edge.
Currently, there is no direct option allowing you to block certain websites on Edge, as Microsoft is still tweaking and upgrading its browser. Redmond will probably introduce such a feature when it rolls out the Anniversary Update, scheduled for July 29.
How to block websites on Microsoft Edge:
- Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
- Find and select the hosts file. To make the search easier, go to Drivers, press CTRL+F and type “hosts”. Then double click on the search result.
In case you encounter access issues, you need to edit the permission level. Go to Properties > Switch to Security Tab > Under Permissions for System, click Advance button > Select Add -> Select Principle -> Under Enter the subject name, add your Windows username.
4. To block a specific website, add the following sequence on the Notepad hosts file: 127.0.0.1 the website’s address.
Example: 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
There is no limit in regards to the number of websites you can block. Simply type the sequence 127.0.0.1 followed by the website’s address, press Enter to go to the next row and type a new sequence.
5. Save and Close the Notepad hosts file.
If you try to access one of the websites you put on the block list, Edge will inform you it can’t reach that page. The good news is that this method blocks the respective websites on other browsers as well.
Meanwhile, you can use the Feedback Hub and request Microsoft to add a native Edge feature to allow the blocking of websites.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- LastPass for Microsoft Edge officially released in latest Windows 10 Preview build
- Windows 10 build 14361 fixes YouTube render issues in Microsoft Edge and IE
- Microsoft claims Edge is its most secure browser with no zero-day exploits so far
- Block Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 with Edge Blocker