Can my Windows 10 PC join a domain? [EXPLAINED]
Windows OS at large receives a cosmetic makeover whenever a new version of Windows is announced. Windows 10 is no different. Along with all the new features, Windows 10 brings the core functionality of its predecessor Windows 8 and other major versions released in the past. This mean, Windows 10 also comes with the old join a domain feature out of the box.
For those who are new to the concept, a domain is a group of network-connected computers that is a common database and security policy and has a unique name. Using the domain, you can access the resources which you have permission within the network perimeter.
While the Join a Domain feature is intact with the Windows 10 OS, the feature is only available for the select Windows 10 versions. In this article, we tell you if you can join a domain ( Windows Active Directory) on Windows 10 Home, Pro, Enterprise, and Student Editions.
Can Windows 10 Pro join a Domain?
Yes, Windows 10 Pro comes with the Domain feature and allows you to join a domain through multiple ways. Here is how to do it:
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Click on System.
- Open the About tab.
- Under About, click on the Join a Domain button.
- Next, provide the Domain name and click Next.
- It will ask you to enter the user credentials to join the domain. If you don’t have the login details, ask your administrator for the same. Enter the details and click OK.
- Click on Next.
- Windows will ask you to restart the PC to apply the changes. Click on Restart now.
- After the reboot the enter the login details provided by the administrator to log in and access the domain.
Note: To be able to Join a domain, the administrator must add you as the user first to the domain.
Can Windows 10 Enterprise join a domain?
Yes, similar to Windows 10 Pro, the Enterprise edition users can also join the Windows Active Directory. During the initial setup, make sure you select the Join a domain option. If not, follow the steps given for Windows 10 Pro to join a domain manually.
If the Join a Domain option is missing in Windows 10 Enterprise, follow these steps to join a domain instead:
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Open Accounts.
- Click on “Access work or school” tab.
- Click on the “Connect” button.
- Enter the domain name and click Next.
- Now you can set up the account and join the domain.
- Make sure you restart the system before trying to login to the user account again.
Can Windows 10 Education join a domain?
Microsoft provides the join a domain option on three versions of Windows 10. Windows 10 Pro, Windows Enterprise and the Windows 10 Education.
If you are running the Windows 10 Education version on your computer, you should be able to join a domain. Follow the steps given for the Enterprise or Pro version above to join a domain.
What to do if the Join a Domain Option is Missing?
It may happen that you want to join a domain but the join a domain option is missing from Settings > About section. To resolve this issue, we have written a detailed guide on how to fix join a Domain Option missing in Windows 10. Follow the instructions in the guide, here, and you should be able to resolve the issue.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE:
- Full Fix: Corrupt local group policy on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- 4 best DLNA server software to stream HQ media content
- Full Fix: This server could not prove where its security certificate is from
- 5 best backup software for Windows servers [2019 LIST]
Some users have reported that they are having problems when trying to log in their Uplay client. Apparently, they receive an error message that looks […]
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]