- Adobe Acrobat Reader is the most popular PDF viewer in the world thanks to its versatility and the long list of built-in PDF editing tools.
- But sometimes, even Acrobat Reader may stop working preventing users from printing their PDF documents.
- In the guide below, we'll show you how you can fix Adobe Reader printing issues quickly and safely.
- For more useful troubleshooting guides on a variety of topics, bookmark our collection of in-depth guides.
We’ll give you a little break from Windows 10 and its problems and bugs, because there’s still a lot of computers using older Windows OS version. In case you just changed your mind and you want to upgrade your OS, check out this step-by-step guide to learn how you can install the latest Windows 10 version.
But in this guide, we won’t be focusing on any special version of Windows, because this problem could appear on any OS release. In this post, we’ll try to help you out if you can’t print PDF files on Adobe Reader.
What to do if Adobe Acrobat Reader fails to print PDF files
QUICK TIP: Install the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader version
This method worked for the majority of users encountering the same issue. Running outdated software is always tricky as this might cause various bugs and errors.
Before trying any troubleshooting methods, make sure you’re running the latest Acrobat Reader version or you installed the latest software updates. Simply downloading the newest Acrobat Reader version can save you a lot of time.
1. Print other files
Before we proceed to complicated steps, let’s try a couple of simple solutions. First of all, try to print another PDF file. In this way, you’ll be able to see if your previous PDF file is corrupted and Acrobat Reader won’t print it because of that.
Also, try to print some other type of file (.txt for example). If you’re able to print that file, the problem is with Adobe Reader, and updating it should fix the problem.
Another thing you can do is restart your computer and printer. There’s a possibility that your printer‘s memory might be full. If none of this helped you, try some of the following solutions.
2. Update your printer’s driver
Maybe the problem lays with your printer. So checking if your printer‘s driver is updated couldn’t do any harm.
To update you printer‘s driver, do the following:
- Open the Device Manager
- Locate your printer under Devices and printers
- Right-click on in and go to Update Drive
If you still can’t print your PDF files after you installed the latest driver update, then your printer is not the problem.
Alternatively, you can update your drivers automatically using TweakBit Driver Updater.
- Download TweakBit Driver Updater, here, and install it.
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the Update driver link next to the driver’s name. Or simply click the Update all button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: Some functions of this tool are not free.
3. Use another PDF reader software
In many cases, switching to another reader might be the easiest solution to solve this type of issues. The market is full of PDF viewers and editors which will help you.
You can check out our article about the best PDF viewers for Windows computers and download the one that best suits your needs.
4. Try to print PDF as an image
Maybe some part of your PDF file is damaged, like some corrupted text, for example, and that is blocking the printing. That could be solved by printing your PDF file as an image, so it won’t be dependent on the text version.
To print your PDF as an image in Adobe Reader, go to File > Print > Advanced, and choose Print as Image.
That’s essentially all, but if you still can’t print your PDF file from Adobe Reader, you might look for an answer on Adobe Reader Forum.
FAQ: Learn more about printing documents in Adobe Reader
- Why can’t I print my PDF file?
Corrupted or outdated printer drivers often prevent users from printing PDF files. To fix this issue, install the latest printer drivers.
- Why is my PDF not printing full-page?
If your PDF document is not printing full-page, check the page scaling options and shrink the document until you can print all the areas.
- How do I print a PDF as an image?
To print a PDF as an image in Adobe Reader navigate to File, select Print, and then click on Advanced and select Print as Image.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2015 and has since been updated for freshness and accuracy.