FIX: Unable to Change Windows 10 Product Key
Windows 10 has been released for some time, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t some minor issues from time to time. Speaking of issues, users report that they can’t change Windows 10 product key, so let’s see if we can somehow fix this issue.
According to the users, it seems that when they try to change product key the Settings app freezes and they are unable to change their Windows 10 product key. This sounds like an unusual problem, but fortunately for you, there are few solutions that you can try.
What to do if can’t change Windows 10 product key
Solution 1 – Change User Account Control Settings
Apparently there’s a bug with User Account Control Settings that prevents you from changing Windows 10 product key but you can try and fix it by following these steps:
- Open Settings and search for UAC. From the list of results select User Account Control.
- Change the User Account Control settings to Always Notify.
- Try to change the product key again. You should get UAC prompt and you should be able to change your product key now.
- After you’re finished you can navigate to User Account Control settings and change it from Always Notify to the one you were using before.
— RELATED: How to Find your Windows 10 Product Key
Solution 2 – Reinstall Windows 10 upgrade
Some users claim the only way to change your Windows 10 product key if you’re having this issue is to go back to the previous version of Windows that you have activated and then perform the upgrade again.
This might not be the best solution, but even Microsoft suggests it, so if you’re having any issues with changing the product key you might want to try this.
Solution 3 – Delete the Temp Folder
Corrupted files in the Temp folder often prevent you from using your Windows 10 product key. In order to solve this problme, you need to clear the Temp folder. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open a new Run window by pressing the Windows key + R
- Enter %temp% in Run > hit Enter
- Select all the files and folders stored in the Temp folder.
- Delete them all.
- Reboot your computer and check if this solved your problem.
Not being able to change your Windows 10 product key can be a big problem, but as you can see there are few solutions that you can try.
We hope that these solutions were helpful to you and that you’ve managed to change your Windows 10 product key.
RELATED POSTS TO CHECK OUT:
- Can’t Find Your Windows 10, 8.1 Product Key? Use these solutions
- FIX: This Product Key Cannot be Used to Install a Retail Copy of Windows
- How to get a cheap Windows Product Key
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
From the tail end of the 20th century, up to about a decade ago, CDs and DVDs constitute the major options for media storage. Today, […]
Kinetic typography can be found almost anywhere on the web. This handy way of presenting text is popular because it successfully catches your attention. Videos […]
Since the Fall Creators Update, users who have ARM64 (or ARM32) machines are able to run Windows 10 without any issues. Two supported editions are […]