- Every single day, browsers and search engines process billions of queries retrieving relevant information for users.
- Modern browsers come equipped with built-in security features that successfully block suspicious-looking pages.
- If you're getting security related browser errors, follow the steps listed in this guide to fix them in no time.
- Visit our web browsing hub to learn how to get the most out of your browsing experience.
The tab states, This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.”
These are a few of the resolutions that have fixed the page connect error for some Edge users.
How can I fix Can’t connect securely to this page errors?
1. Select the TLS Settings
The “Can’t connect securely to this page” tab states that the issue might be due to TLS settings. So, that’s a clue for the resolution. Some Edge users have fixed page connect error by selecting the TLS options as follows.
- Press the Type here to search button to Open Cortana’s search box.
- Enter the keyword ‘internet options‘ in the search box.
- Select Internet Options to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Then scroll down to and select the SSL and TLS check boxes shown directly below.
- Press the Apply button to apply the options.
- Select the OK button to close the window.
If you’re having trouble finding the Cortana search box on Windows 10, check out this guide to find the best solutions to the problem.
2. Enable Mixed Content
Edge will block more pages when the Display mixed content isn’t enabled. As such, enabling mixed content might resolve the “Can’t connect securely to this page” error. This is how you can enable mixed content.
- Open the Internet Properties window by entering ‘internet options‘ in Cortana and selecting Internet Options.
- Then select the Security tab.
- Press the Custom level option to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- First, select Medium on the Reset to drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to the Display mixed content option shown directly below.
- Select the Enable radio button for the Display mixed content option.
- Click the OK button.
3. Turn Off Third-Party Anti-Virus Utilities
Some Edge users have confirmed that disabling their third-party anti-virus utilities fixed the “Can’t connect securely to this page” issue for them.
To disable anti-virus software, right-click its system tray icon and select a disable or turn off option on its context menu.
Alternatively, open the software’s primary window and look for a disable option on its settings tab. You can also remove anti-virus utilities from the Windows 10 startup as follows.
- Press the Windows key + X to open the Win + X menu.
- Select Task Manager to open the utility’s window.
- Select the Start-up tab to open a list of startup items.
- Select your anti-virus utility there, and press the Disable button.
- Restart your laptop or desktop.
The Settings app also includes startup software options in the latest Windows 10 build. To configure startup software with Settings, enter ‘apps’ in Cortana‘s search box.
Select Apps & features and click Start-up to open the Startup app list shown directly below. Then you can toggle the anti-virus software off from there.
If you’re having trouble opening the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
4. Update Network Drivers
Edge’s page connects error might also be due to incompatible network drivers. You can update and fix drivers with the freeware version of Driver Booster 5.
Press the Free Download button on this page to add the software to Windows 10. The software automatically scans drivers. Then you can select to Update Now to update outdated network drivers that aren’t compatible with your Windows platform.
One, or more, of those resolutions might fix the “Can’t connect securely to this page” error so that you can browse the page that otherwise isn’t opening in Edge.
If you have another resolution for the page connect error, feel free to share it below. Also, if you have any more questions, post them in the comments section and we’ll surely take a look.
FAQ: Learn more about browser security
- Why is browser security important?
Browser security is very important because hackers often use specially crafted webpages to inject malware into users’ computers. New threats emerge every day and using a secure browser combined with a good antivirus is paramount.
- Is there a better browser than Chrome?
Chrome is the most popular browser in the world, but there are quite a few other browsers out there just as good as Google’s browser or even better. For example, both Vivaldi and Opera are better in terms of privacy and speed than Chrome.
- Which web browser has the highest risk of being attacked?
Google Chrome has the highest chances of being attacked by hackers since it’s the most popular browser in the world. Successful attacks could translate into access to millions of accounts. Next on the list is Internet Explorer since Microsoft officially ended support for old IE versions and these are sitting ducks for hackers.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has since been updated for freshness and accuracy.