- A Can't establish secure connection on Dropbox can block your access to important files.
- Troubleshooting the issue is not difficult and we're walking you through the steps, so keep reading.
- Feel free to check out our collection of articles in the Browsers Hub, for more useful material.
- In the Storage section, you'll find even more ideas for safekeeping your important data.
A large number of users have encountered the error Can’t establish secure connection on Dropbox.
Because all Dropbox connections are established using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), any sort of issue with the SSL certificates can cause the above-mentioned error to appear.
Since we know how important it is for you to be able to connect to Dropbox, in today’s article we will explore some of the best-proven methods to solve this issue.
How can I fix Can’t establish secure connection Dropbox error?
1. Try using the web version of Dropbox
This is a quick workaround, but it might be helpful to some users. Simply use your web browser to access Dropbox and check if that helps.
You can use any browser for this purpose, but if you’re looking for a secure and reliable browser, your best option would be Opera browser.
We’re making this recommendation considering the free bundle of extremely useful features that come with this search engine. Customizable workspaces, messenger tabs, VPN, ad-blocker, battery saver are just a few of them.
Since all these features are integrated with the browser, you won’t have to worry that they might clog the browser, like extensions or plug-ins usually do. This will allow you to access programs and apps quicker than with other browsers.
2. Use an alternative cloud storage program
There are a lot of cloud storage options available out there, so why not go for something new?
There are various programs you can use to back up your files safely, and never worry again about important files loss.
Hence, if you want to try out such proficient tools, you pick from the best cloud storage for personal usage.
3. Make sure your computer’s date and time are set correctly
- Right-click the Clock from your Windows 10 taskbar and choose the option Adjust date/time from the menu.
- Inside the newly opened window, select Date & time from the left side menu.
- Make sure both Set time automatically, and also the Set time zone automatically options are enabled.
If the options are enabled but your system can’t access the Internet, deactivate the options mentioned above, then press the Change button and set the time manually.
Your computer will compare the system date with the expiration date of the SSL certificate, so it is crucial that these two settings match.
In the case that they don’t match, the error Can’t establish a secure connection will appear. The steps mentioned above should fix the issue.
4. Make sure your firewall and antivirus software is not blocking Dropbox
- Type Windows Defender in the taskbar and choose the first option from the results.
- Click Firewall & network protection.
- Select Allow an app through firewall -> Change settings.
- Select Dropbox from the list.
- Allow both Private and Public access for this app by ticking the respective boxes.
- Click Ok to save and apply the changes.
We’ve exemplified here with Windows Defender, but the process is similar for other antivirus software you might be using.
Antivirus programs are known for blocking any unauthorized Internet services, so the chances that these ports are blocked is high. Whitelisting Dropbox and any other frequently used apps is important.
- Click the Dropbox icon inside your system tray.
- Select Preferences.
- Click on the Network tab and make sure your proxy settings are set correctly under the Proxy Settings section.
Some applications end up changing your default proxy settings when installed.
Because Dropbox uses standard Internet port (80 and 443) to perform the data transfers, it is very important that those ports are open for connections.
In today’s fix article we explored the best methods to deal with the error Can’t establish secure connection on Dropbox.
We hope that these steps have proven useful. We would love to know if you have any other suggestions regarding this topic.
Please feel free to contact us via the comments section below.