A large number of users have encountered the error Can’t establish secure connection inside Dropbox.
Because all Dropbox connections are established using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer), any sort of issue with the SSL certificates can cause the above-mentioned error to appear.
Because we know how important it is for you to be able to connect to Dropbox, in today’s article we will explore some of the best proven methods to solve this issue.
Please follow the methods presented here carefully to avoid causing any issues.
How can I fix Can’t establish secure connection Dropbox error?
1. Try using the web version of Dropbox
This is a quick workaround, but it might be helpful to some users. Simply use your web browser to access Dropbox and check if that helps.
You can use any browser for this purpose, but if you’re looking for a secure and reliable browser, your best option would be UR Browser.
2. Make sure your computer’s date and time are set correctly
In the case that they don’t match, the error Can’t establish a secure connection will appear. In order to correct this, you will need to follow these steps:
- Right-click the Clock from your Windows 10 taskbar -> choose the option Adjust date/time from the menu.
- Inside the newly opened window -> select Date & time from the left side menu.
- Make sure both Set time automatically, and also the Set time zone automatically options are enabled.
- If the options are enabled but your system can’t access the internet, deactivate the options mentioned above -> press the Change button -> set the time manually.
3. Make sure your firewall and antivirus software is not blocking the Dropbox service
Antivirus software is known for blocking any unauthorized internet services, the chances that these ports are blocked is high. Please make sure to add Dropbox to the whitelist of your antivirus software.
If you’re using the Windows Defender firewall, follow these steps to whitelist Dropbox:
- Click on the Cortana search box inside your taskbar -> type Windows Defender -> choose the first option from the results.
- Click Firewall & network protection.
- Select Allow an app through firewall -> Change settings.
- Select Dropbox from the list.
- Allow both Private and Public access for this app by ticking the respective boxes.
- Click Ok to save and apply the changes.
4. Make sure your default proxy settings are correct
Some applications end up changing your default proxy settings when installed.
Follow these steps to check:
- Click the Dropbox icon inside your system tray.
- Select Preferences.
- Click on the Network tab -> make sure your proxy settings are set correctly under the Proxy Settings section.
In today’s fix article we explored the best methods to deal with the error Can’t establish connection inside Dropbox.
We hope that these steps have proven useful for your issue. We would love to know if it did, and also if you have any suggestions.
Please feel free to let us know by leaving a comment inside the comment section below.
- Website is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts [Fix]
- How to protect your Windows 10 device on public Wi-Fi networks
- Dropbox UWP app receives Windows 10 Project Neon redesign