- This error may occasionally appear when opening many browser tabs.
- Note that Opera uses 900 MBs of RAM with ten open tabs, so if your browser uses more than that, there must be an issue.
- Deleting the browser’s cache often helps and this isn't the only solution.
An Opera browser out of memory error may occasionally appear when opening many browser tabs. This occurs following a page refresh and typically leads to a complete program crash.
Because Opera is built on the same chromium platform as Chrome, it uses a lot of RAM and can quickly consume many resources.
Even though the issue isn’t widespread, you need to know how to resolve it effectively and quickly.
Why does Opera use so much memory?
Opera is a Chromium-based browser. Unsurprisingly, so much memory is used since they use per-tab site isolation.
They do this so the browser cannot leak that information from a site in one tab to sites in other tabs and vice versa, unaware of potential memory leak issues.
Opera commonly uses 900 MBs of RAM with ten open tabs, so if your browser uses more than that, there must be a problem.
To avoid too much RAM consumption on Opera, a practical idea is to uninstall the browser and reinstall it from the official website by hitting the button down below.
Get the latest Opera version from the official source to avoid errors and reduce unjustified RAM usage!
How do I make Opera take up less memory?
1. Delete the browser’s cache
- Launch the Opera browser.
- Press the O symbol in the upper left corner of the screen to access the menu. Choose History and then Clear browsing data. Alternately, use the key combination Ctrl + Shift + Del.
- Choose a cleaning period. All the time, for example. Select the checkboxes next to Cookies and Cached images and files and select Clear data.
- Wait for the process to finish.
Your browser might continue to use outdated files even after you update the application. You could also see outdated forms if you don’t clear your cache.
When you open a website, outdated files may cause an Opera browser out of memory error or access issues.
2. Limit cache capacity
- Right-click on the application and select Properties.
- In the Target command line, type the following code after the shortcut directory.
Limiting the cache capacity of the browser can solve your issue if your browser encounters the Opera browser running out of memory error.
3. Enter turbo mode
- Launch the browser and navigate to the main menu in the upper left corner of the screen. Select Settings from the system menu.
- In the new window, select Advanced and then Features.
- Scroll down to the Opera Turbo tab and check the box next to the Turbo mode.
When Opera’s Turbo Mode is enabled, websites load much more quickly, and the application uses less RAM.
But this option has been removed from recent versions, and Opera has optimized the application to remove the need for turbo.
4. Disable plugins
- Ctrl + Shift + E on any page.
- Select Disable next to each extension.
- Check the system boot and restart the program.
5. Update Opera to the latest version
- Click on the Opera logo to access menu options and select Update & Recovery.
- The Opera Update and Recovery window will appear, and begin to search for updates.
- If updates are available, they will be installed automatically.
The new releases typically include CPU and RAM optimizations. There is a chance that updating your browser will resolve the issue.
How do I stop Opera from running in the background?
- Click on the Start menu, type Control Panel, and press Enter.
- Select Programs and Features.
- In the search box, type Opera Background Processors and uninstall it.
Opera with optimal settings!
The platform on which the Opera browser is built allows for heavy resource and RAM usage.
Although you can change the settings to address this issue, the app requires at least 2 gigabytes of RAM to function properly.
Therefore, if you don’t have enough RAM, try using another browser. But there is another option if you love Opera.
Opera developers created another iteration of the browser with gamers in mind. The highly customizable GX browser allows users to choose their preferred cache size.
So, you can try the gaming version if the original browser gives you the lengthy message of either Opera ran out of memory, or the process for the web page was terminated for some other reason.