Ever wanted to make a screen capture from a movie or video file on your Windows 8, Windows 10 device? This feature comes in very handy if you want to create the perfect thumbnail for a video, or to add some effects to your website, and why not, to set them as your background image. However, there is no simple way to do this with accuracy, or is it?
Users of Windows 10, Windows 8 can rest assured that they will be able to capture pictures from videos by using the Vid2Pix app for Windows 10, Windows 8. This tiny app will allow to take quality screenshots of every video you want, with great ease with excellent accuracy.
Vid2Pix captures images from videos
This free app is available in the Windows Store for anyone to download and use, but there’s a catch: the pictures you take from video are watermarked and in order to take the watermark out, you will need to unlock the app. The price isn’t that high, only $1.49 and you can take all the pictures you like. Now, let’s see how the app behaves.
Vid2Pix is a pretty simple and straight forward app. It delivers exactly what it promises and nothing more. After installing the app, you will see the main menu, which has 4 categories:
- Capture Pictures – This is the part that interests every one
- Recent Pictures – Where you can see the most recent pictures you have captured from videos
- Guide – This is an external link to YouTube, where you will see the short video about how to operate the app (the same video included in this review)
- Unlock App – From here, you will be able to unlock the app and get rid of the watermarks from the images.
In the Capture Pictures menu, you will find a video player where you will be able to play the video of your choice and on the right side, you will see a thumbnail of the last captured frame. On the bottom of the page, you can find the video controls, such as “Open Video File” which will forward you to the default file explorer, where you can search for your video, the Play button for playing and pausing the video, two button on each side of the play button for going to the next or previous frame (this feature is very useful when trying to find the perfect image) and the Capture Frame button which captures the screenshot.
As you can see, the app is very simple to use and it requires next to effort from the user. Also, by clicking on the thumbnail from the right side, you will be able to inspect the last captured frame. All the pictures captured from the videos with Vid2Pix are located on your drive, in the My Pictures folder from Documents. You will see that they have the same resolution of your video.
Apart from this, the app doesn’t have any other features. In the time we were testing it, it worked pretty good, but we did experience one crash. Apart from this, Vid2Pix is an excellent way to capture pictures from videos in Windows 10, Windows 8.
Key features of this app include:
- Vid2Pix supports absolutely all the video formats supported on Windows 10, 8
- You can capture screenshots at the full video resolution, so no more blurry images
- You can save your screenshots to your Pictures Library or select a different destination
- Screenshots are saved as JPEGs
- You can select which frame to capture by using the Pause, Play & Frame options
- If you want to share your screenshots on social media or email, you can hit the Share button
- Picture Viewer is a useful feature that list your recent captures
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Warning: SquirtDanger malware takes screenshots and steals your passwords
- This software uploads OneDrive and Dropbox screenshots to Google Drive
- Where do my screenshots go on Windows 10?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2013 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.