- Screen recording software tools are ideal for capturing all your desktop activity, unlike Xbox Game Bar that can only record your gaming. You can create YouTube tutorials, presentations, and other video content.
- In this list, we handpicked and highlighted the best free and free-to-try screen recording software solutions for your PC. The premium choices have more features and are suitable for experienced users.
- If you're only interested in gaming, check out game recording software instead.
- Visit our Video hub for more awesome guides!
Screen recorder software solutions are great for capturing your desktop to create videos. For example, you can make a video about some problem you are facing on your computer or to make a tutorial if you have a solution to another issue.
But finding a good program to record your screen can be challenging since most don’t really do a good job at it.
Windows 10 has a built-in screen recorder called Xbox Game Bar, but it only records games. That’s why we created a top 9 list of screen recording programs that can capture not only games but also anything else happening on your desktop.
Here’s the best screen recording software for Windows 10
- Icecream Screen Recorder (free to try)
- Camtasia (free to try)
- Snagit (free to try)
- ActivePresenter (free to try)
- TechSmith Capture (100% free)
- EZVID (100% free)
- Rylstim Screen Recorder (100% free)
- CamStudio (free and open-source)
- Webinaria (free and open-source)
Let’s take a closer look.
Icecream Screen Recorder is a dependable screen recording software tool for Windows 10, with enough features to satisfy but not confuse you.
It lets you add hotkeys to make recording a breeze, and supports your own watermarks so you don’t have to add your watermark in editing.
It can also focus on your mouse pointer and you can even select a certain area on the screen to record instead of recording all of it. It even lets you zoom in and out while recording the video.
Here are the key features of Icecream Screen Recorder:
- Screen area selection: select the area you want to be recorded
- Drawing panel: add arrows, lines, and marks to your capture
- Project history: you can easily find your past projects
- Personal watermark: personalize your video by adding your signature/logo on it
- Zoom in while recording: zoom to an object
- Record around the mouse: select what area around your cursor you want to record
Icecream Screen Recorder is free to try and you can download it from the link below.
Camtasia is a powerful screen recording software tool for Windows 10. If you thought Snagit has too many features, you haven’t seen anything yet.
Camtasia comes packed with a full-blown video editor and video rendering module. If you are making tutorials, then this is quite possibly the best software you could use.
If you could think of a feature, Camtasia probably has it – so it will take too long to talk about all the things it can do.
There is a free trial available you can use to figure out if it’s worth it for you, but that’s the price you have to pay for a complete set of tools.
Snagit is a premium screen recording software tool for Windows 10. You can give it a try with the free trial.
Snagit is not only a screen capturing tool but also packs a decent video editor, comes with free tech support, and has integration with several online services.
Here are the key features of Snagit:
- Customize and edit every screenshot with professional-quality markup tools.
- Trim any part of your screen recordings.
- Convert videos to animated GIFs.
Snagit is the smart, convenient way to get your point across, eliminate confusion, and future-proof your content.
If you are looking for something professional with an insane amount of features and a team of support staff that can help you go through those features – and are willing to pay for it, Snagit is your option.
ActivePresenter is a screen recording software tool for Windows 10 designed for business. It’s ideal for recording presentations at the office.
Atomi makes ActivePresenter, and they pack it with some really fleshed out features that make it a breeze to do a presentation or use the software in an educational setting.
Here are the key features ActivePresenter:
- Record all motions on the screen with high resolution and frame rate
- Record webcam and system sound simultaneously
- Cut, copy, remove any part of the recorded video
- Record voice-over narration while recording or later in the editing phase
- Audio fade in/fade out, audio noise reduction
- Rich annotation tools: Zoom-n-pan, shapes, callouts, closed captions, mouse cursor effects, multiple resources (video, image, audio, YouTube video)
- Insert time to freeze frames
- Change video/audio playback speed
- Blur sensitive parts of the video or making green screen effects (chroma key effect)
- Publishing video to Youtube in a few steps
Once you are done with your video screen capturing and editing, you can export your project as not only a video, but also various formats such as Word, Excel, PDF, PowerPoint, Flash, and even an HTML5 simulation.
The free version does not include these formats though – but the paid one does. The tool is available for Windows and Mac.
TechSmith Capture is a free screen recording software solution for Windows 10. Formerly known as Jing, it’s made by the same team behind Snagit and Camtasia Studio. Unlike those two, Jing has fewer options and, much like Rylstim, it’s pretty straightforward.
Available for Windows and Mac, TechSmith Capture can not only record your screen to create videos but also take snapshots to save images. Video recordings can be uploaded to Screencast and shared with others for free.
EZVID is a screen recording software tool for Windows 10 that does not have many features. It comes with a basic video editor – but the most notable feature is its ability to upload the videos you make straight to YouTube.
This feature makes it a breeze to create and upload videos of what you are seeing on your screen.
The basic video editor includes speed control and things you would expect from something like this. Best of all? It’s 100% free.
EZVID also features voice synthesis, direct file output (not just to YouTube), visual effects, screen drawing, and more.
Rylstim Screen Recorder is quite possibly the most straightforward screen recording software tool for Windows 10 on this list. Once you install it, all you have to do is select the code and the folder where you want to save your recorded videos.
Once done, simply start recording and once you have finished recording, you will have your recorded videos in the folder you set earlier.
There is no editor – this tool only serves one purpose, and that is screen recording. There is also a portable version so you don’t even need to install it if you don’t want to. Rylstim Screen Recorder is 100% free.
CamStudio free and open-source screen recording software for Windows 10, similar to Webinaria. It’s easy and intuitive since it doesn’t pack a lot of complicated features – just like Jing and Rylstim.
It could be exactly what you are looking for, as it has built itself quite a reputation for simply working as advertised and not adding complicated features that make the experience of using it confusing.
CamStudio also has a portable edition available for download.
Webinaria is also free and open-source screen recording software for Windows 10. It includes all the features you would expect from a screen capture tool. But what makes it unique is its ability to export your videos as Flash.
It also comes with a basic video editor with not a lot of bells and whistles – enough to get the job done.
These were some of the best screen recording tools for Windows 10. You can obviously decide for yourself which one out of these is the best tool for you, depending on what exactly you want to do.
While most are free, some cost above 200$. Which one suits and satisfies your needs entirely depends on your preference.
This has been helpful for many users who need to add screenshots and videos to their guides and tutorials. Let us know if it helped you as well!
If you have any other questions or suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about screen recording software
- How to record your screen?
Use any of the software tools we presented above to record your screen. Just click the Record button and follow the on-screen instructions. It’s incredibly easy.
- How can I record my computer screen for free?
The software programs above are either free or free to try. Explore your options and pick one of the tools to record your computer screen for free.
- How do you record your Android screen?
Use the AZ Screen Recorder app to record your Android screen. You can also use screen mirroring software.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2016 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.