Full Fix: Cast to Device not working in Windows 10
Cast to Device is handy addition to Windows 10 that enables users to stream media content to connected DLNA devices. However, the Cast to Device desktop context menu option doesn’t always work for some users. Consequently, the users can’t stream media content to other devices. These are a few resolutions that might fix device casting in Windows 10.
Cast to Device won’t work: Here are 7 fixes
- Open the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Turn On Network Discovery
- Reset Stream Permissions for Windows Media Player
- Disable Antivirus Software
- Check the Windows Defender Firewall Settings for Cast to Device
- Check the Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver Setting is Selected
- Update the Network Card Driver
1. Open the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
First, check out the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter included in Windows. That can fix hardware and device errors, and some users have confirmed that the troubleshooter fixes device casting in Windows. It might not fix device casting for everybody, but the hardware troubleshooter is worth a shot. This is how you can open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter in Windows 10.
- Press the Cortana Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Input ‘troubleshoot’ in the search box, and select Troubleshoot to open the window directly below.
- Select Hardware and Devices and click Run the troubleshooter to open the troubleshooter in the shot below.
- The troubleshooter will detect issues, and then you can click Apply this Fix.
2. Turn On Network Discovery
- Check that network discovery is on, which is a network sharing setting. To switch network discovery on, press the Cortana button.
- Enter the keyword ‘network’ in Cortana’s search box, and select to open Network status in the Settings app.
- Click Network and Sharing Center to open the Control Panel window below.
- Then click Change advanced sharing settings to open the options in the image below.
- Select the Turn on network discovery option if network discovery is currently off.
- In addition, select Turn on file and printer sharing if that option isn’t already selected.
- Press the Save Changes button to apply the new settings.
3. Reset Stream Permissions for Windows Media Player
Some users have fixed Cast to Device by resetting stream permissions in Windows Media Player. That will ensure Windows Media Player is configured for media streaming as required. You can reset stream permissions in Windows 10 as follows.
- First, enter ‘Windows Media Player’ in the Cortana’s search box and select to open Windows Media Player.
- Press the Stream button shown directly below.
- Select Turn on media streaming to open the Control Panel window.
- Press the Turn on media streaming button on that window.
- Then click the OK button for the streaming options.
- Open Windows Media Player, and press the Stream button again.
- Select both Allow Internet access to home media and Automatically allow devices to play my media options if they’re not already selected.
- Then close Windows Media Player.
4. Disable Antivirus Software
It might be the case that third-party anti-virus software is blocking the public network connection required for device casting. To ensure that isn’t happening, switch off third-party anti-virus utilities. You can usually select to temporarily disable an anti-virus package via its system tray icon’s context menu. If you can’t find a turn off option on the utility’s context menu, have a look through the settings menu on the software’s primary window.
5. Check the Windows Defender Firewall Settings for Cast to Device
- Windows Defender Firewall can also block Cast to Device. To check the Defender Firewall settings for Cast to Device, enter the keyword ‘Windows Firewall’ in the Cortana search box.
- Then select Allow an app through Windows Defender Firewall to open the window in the shot directly below.
- Press the Change settings button.
- Scroll down to Cast to Device and select both its check boxes if they are not already selected.
- Then press the OK button to close the window.
6. Check the Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver Setting is Selected
- If you’ve recently changed network adapters, you might need to enable the Microsoft LLDP Protocol. To do that, input ‘network’ in Cortana’s search box and open Network status.
- Click Network and Sharing Center to open the Control Panel window shown below.
- Select Change adapter settings to open a list of connections.
- Then right-click your adapter and select Properties, which opens the window in the snapshot below.
- Select the Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver check box.
- Click the OK button.
7. Update the Network Card Driver
You might also need to update an antiquated network driver. You can update drivers manually or with driver updater software. This is how you can update a network adapter driver manually.
- First, press the Windows key + X hotkey; and select Device Manager on the menu that opens.
- Double-click Network adapters on the Device Manager window.
- Right-click your internet network adapter and select Properties.
- The General tab includes the full adapter card model and manufacturer details you’ll need to download the driver. So note down the adapter card model and manufacturer.
- Then open the network adapter manufacturer’s website.
- Download a compatible driver for your network adapter from the driver download section on the manufacturer’s website. Download a 32-bit driver for 32-bit Windows system and 64-bit one for a 64-bit platform.
- If the downloaded driver is an .exe, you can open its setup wizard to install the driver.
- However, you’ll need to install a non-executable network adapter driver via Device Manager. To do that, right-click the network adapter in Device Manager and select Update driver.
- Then select the Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Press the Browse button to select the folder you downloaded the driver to.
- Then click Next to search for and install the driver.
Those are some of the resolutions that have fixed Cast to Device in Windows for plenty of users. So there’s a good chance at least one of those resolutions will fix device casting on your desktop or laptop.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- 5 software to avoid buffering so that streaming never gets interrupted
- 6 streaming audio recorders for PC to record streamed music and radio
- Fix: Media Streaming not working on Windows 10
Whether you want to record a tech or sports podcast, recording a podcast is usually easy. Set up a mic, start the audio recorder, and […]
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]