How to disable CDpusersvc error code 15100 in Windows 10
There is very little information available about this elusive module. Many Windows 10 users actually make fun of this situation, suggesting that Microsoft hasn’t filled in any description on this module simply because it doesn’t actually know what this service does.
CDpusersvc is a mysterious Windows 10 service
Just installed Win 10 v1607. Found a CDPUsersvc in services.msc . It is set to automatic, Also the description fails, it says “failed to read description. error code 15100”. So I don’t know what the service is used for. Does someone know what it is ?
Many Windows 10 users also report that CDpusersvc is really buggy. They keep on getting error logs for services that use it, as well as security violations. The most intriguing thing for users is that they can’t find what the app is in order to adjust the privileges.
The good news is that this error can safely be ignored as it doesn’t affect Windows in any manner. If it becomes too annoying, you can remove it using Regedit.
How to disable CDpusersvc in Windows 10
CDpusersvc error code 15100 can appear on your PC and lead to various issues. Speaking of CDpusersvc and issues, these are some of the common problems that users reported:
- CDpusersvc has stopped working, crash – According to users, this process can frequently crash or give you Has stopped working message. If that happens, it’s advised to disable the process by modifying your registry.
- CDpusersvc virus – This process might look like malware, but it should be perfectly safe. If you’re concerned that your PC is infected, feel free to perform a full system scan and check if that solves the problem.
- CDpusersvc failed to read – This is another common error that can appear with Cdpusersvc. To fix the problem, you might want to try removing and blocking the problematic updates.
- CDpusersvc high CPU – Sometimes this process can use too much of your resources. Microsoft is aware of this issue, so the fix should be available in form of Windows update.
Solution 1 – Change your registry
According to users, one way to fix CDpusersvc error code 15100 is to modify your registry. You registry holds all sorts of sensitive information and it allows you to disable various services such as this one.
We have to warn you that modifying the registry can be potentially dangerous, so use extra caution. To modify your registry and disable this feature, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter regedit. Now press Enter or click OK.
- When Registry Editor opens, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDPUserSvc.
- Change the Start value data from 2 to 4 (Disabled).
- Restart your computer and CDpusersvc should be disabled now. You may notice that the number is different now (CDPUserSvc_35375), but rest assured, the module is disabled.
Solution 2 – Remove the problematic update
According to users, sometimes CDpusersvc error code 15100 can appear after an update. If this happens, it’s advised that you find and remove the problematic update from your PC. If you recently installed a system update, and you’re encountering this issue, it’s advised to find and remove that update in order to fix the problem. To do that, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Now navigate to the Update & Security section.
- Click View installed update history.
- You should now see the list of installed updates. Look for any recent updates and memorize their names. Click Uninstall updates.
- List of updates will appear. Double-click the update you want to remove and follow the instructions on the screen to remove it.
Once you remove the update, check if the problem with Cdpusersvc is resolved. If so, you should probably block this update from installing again. Windows 10 automatically installs the missing updates, and if you don’t block this update from installing, the issue will soon reemerge. In one of our previous we explained how to block Windows updates on Windows 10, so be sure to check it out for more information.
Solution 3 – Install the latest updates
If you have any issues with CDpusersvc error code 15100 the problem might be the missing updates. Microsoft is aware of this issue, and it’s working hard to fix it. In fact, it’s possible that the fix is available in form of Windows Update.
By default, Windows 10 always downloads the updates automatically in the background, but sometimes issues might prevent update or two from downloading. However, you can fix this problem by manually checking for updates. To do that, just follow these steps:
Windows will now check for available updates and download any pending updates in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, simply restart your PC in order to install them. After your system is updated to the latest version, check if the problem still persists.
Solution 4 – Isolate the process
According to users, you might be able to fix CDpusersvc error code 15100 by isolating the process. To do this, you need to run few commands from Command Prompt. To do that on Windows 10, follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin). If Command Prompt isn’t available, you can instead use PowerShell (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, type sc config cdpusersvc type=own and run this command.
After running this command, the Cdpusersvc process will be isolated forcibly and that might be able to fix any problems related to it.
Solution 5 – Create a .bat file to stop the service
If you’re having problems with CDpusersvc error code 15100, one workaround might be to create a .bat file that will close the problematic process for you. To do that, you just need to follow these steps:
- Open Notepad.
- When Notepad opens, paste the following lines:
- @ECHO OFF
- SC QUERY state= all>servicesdump.txt
- FINDSTR /L /C:”SERVICE_NAME: CDPUserSvc_” servicesdump.txt >CDPservice.txt
- FOR /F “usebackq tokens=2” %%i IN (CDPservice.txt) DO SET CDPUserSvc=%%i
- NET Stop “%CDPUserSvc%”
- SC Delete “%CDPUserSvc%”
- DEL CDPservice.txt
- DEL servicesdump.txt
- Now click on File > Save as.
- Set Save as type to All Files and enter fix.bat in File name field. Now click Save to save changes.
After doing that, you just need to locate the fix.bat file and run it, and the Cdpusersvc service should be stopped. Keep in mind that this is just a workaround, so you’ll need to repeat it if the issue reappears.
Solution 6 – Scan your PC for malware
Cdpusersvc process usually comes followed by a random array of numbers, which makes to looks suspicious. Many users mistakenly confuse this process with malware since it has such an unusual name.
If you fear that your PC might be infected by malware, we advise you to perform a full system scan with an antivirus software. There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but for best protection, you should consider using BullGuard.
Solution 7 – Perform a System Restore
To fix the problem, some users are suggesting to perform a System Restore. In case you’re not familiar, this feature allows you to revert any recent changes and fix various problems on your PC. To perform a System Restore, you need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Choose Create a restore point from the menu.
- System Properties window will now appear. Click the System Restore button.
- When System Restore window opens, click Next.
- If available, check Show more restore points options. Select the desired restore point and click Next.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to restore your PC.
Once your PC is restored, check if the problem still persists. Keep in mind that this issue might be caused by a Windows Update, and if that’s the case, find the problematic update and block it from installing.
Although there is a workaround available to disable the CDpusersvc module, the mystery remains. Microsoft has yet to issue any comments on this bug, although its forums are full of CDpusersvc threads. In other words, nobody actually knows what the CDpusersvc module does.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows 10 Anniversary Update causes 100% disk usage
- Fix: Windows 10 Anniversary Update sound problems
- Fix: Windows 10 Anniversary Update destroys boot loader in dual-boot config
- Fix: Windows 10 won’t wake up from sleep after the Anniversary Update
What Android emulator is the best for my Windows PC? Bluestacks MeMu Nox Remix OS Player Droid4X AMIDuOS Windroy Genymotion Xamarin Android Player Andy We’re […]
Recently, a security researcher @SandboxEscaper disclosed in a tweet which has been deleted (the account also has been removed), that the task scheduler is vulnerable […]
Microsoft may be developing a new wireless charging system called “Ultrafast’” for its devices, if a newly discovered patent gets approved for mass production. This […]