How to Change Default Office 2016 Download Location
Microsoft Office 2016 offers all sorts of new features, but it seems that it has one major flaw. According to reports, it seems that Microsoft Office 2016 can only be installed into default directory. However, there is a way to change the default installation directory for Office 2016, and we’re going to show you how.
With Office 2010 and newer Microsoft has decided to use different technology called Click-to-Run that downloads Office setup files directly from Microsoft servers into default directory. This is great for new users that want to easily install Office 2016, but as you can see it lacks many customization features.
How to Change Default Office 2016 Location
Here’s what you need to do to change the default download location of Office 2016:
- Download Office 2016 Deployment Tool.
- Run Office Deployment Tool to extract files to desired directory. We’ll use E:Office for our example, but you can use any other directory or hard drive partition.
- Go to the E:Office (remember, use the folder you specified in Step 2, E:Office is just our example and it might not work for you) and find configuration.xml file. Right click it and choose Edit.
- Delete all the contents from the configuration.xml file and replace them with:
- <Configuration><Add SourcePath=”E:Office” OfficeClientEdition=”64″ ><Product ID=”O365ProPlusRetail”><Language ID=”en-us” /><ExcludeApp ID=”Access” /><ExcludeApp ID=”Groove” /><ExcludeApp ID=”InfoPath” /><ExcludeApp ID=”Lync” /><ExcludeApp ID=”OneNote” /><ExcludeApp ID=”PowerPoint” /><ExcludeApp ID=”Publisher” /><ExcludeApp ID=”SharePointDesigner” /></Product></Add></Configuration>
- You can change some of the values such as:
- Source path – this should match the directory that you specified in Step 2. In our case it’s E:Office.
- OfficeClientEdition – this value is used to select which version you want to download. Set it to 32 or 64 depending on your operating system.
- Product ID – this value is used to set which version of Office 2016 you wish to download. There are several options available:
- Language ID – this value is used to set the language for Office 2016. We’ve used en-us in our case.
- ExcludeApp ID – this value is used to specify which Office apps you do not wish to install. List of values is:
- If you wish to install all applications from Office 2016 make sure that you remove all the entries. In addition, you can also add more entries if you want to skip installation of more Office 2016 tools. Just remember to place before the and to replace Value from one of the values from the list above (Also we must mention that it’s crucial to keep all the values that you enter between quotes or else the installation might not work).
- After you’ve done with changes, save the changes and close the file.
- Go to E:Office, or the folder that you specified in Step 2.
- Hold Shift and right click on an empty space. Choose Open command window here from the menu.
- Enter the following command into Command Prompt and wait for it to download Office 2016. This might take a while, so be patient and don’t close Command Prompt (If there are any errors, this means that your configuration.xml isn’t configured properly, so you might want to go few steps back and check if you’ve configured the configuration.xml file properly):
- setup.exe /download configuration.xml
- After the download process is complete type into Command Prompt and press Enter:
- setup.exe /configure configuration.xml
- This should install Office 2016 in the directory you specified in Step 2, or in our case E:Office.
Laptops are great devices due to their portability, but many users reported that laptop speakers are not working for them. This can be a big […]
A Windows 10 build for foldable devices has recently surfaced online. The Windows 10 build (rs_shell_devices_foldable) was first spotted on the BuildFeed channel. The build strings rs_shell_devices_foldables.190111-1800 […]