- When dealing with sensitive data, you’ll want to change the security settings of your PDF files.
- To make sure the procedure works like a breeze, you should use a dedicated PDF editor.
- The Adobe suite provides a great tool that helps you manage PDF security settings easily.
- An intuitive PDF management tool will show you how to change security settings on a PDF file, so check out our article below.
PDF files are extremely versatile in terms of what you can use them for. They can be text documents, they can hold pictures, they support hyperlinks and more.
However, given the versatility of the format, you can end up using it as a support for more sensitive data. As such, you may want to limit the access that certain individuals have to certain PDF files.
This includes blocking the possibility to edit, print, or even open them together. On the other end of the spectrum, maybe you want to make amore accessible to everyone.
Whichever the case, we’ve created a step-by-step guide that will show you exactly how to change thesettings of your easily.
How can I change the security settings of a PDF file?
1. Using Icecream PDF Editor
- Open the PDF file.
- Go to File and choose File permissions.
- Choose to protect either opening or editing the file by checking the corresponding option.
- Click OK.
And that’s it. Next time the document is opened or edited (by you or anyone else), a password will be required.
This way, you can restrict full access to a file, or just the editing option.
If you’re not familiar with Icecream PDF Editor, we should say that this is an intuitive PDF management tool that you can use on Windows-based devices.
It is equipped with an array of editing actions such as annotating, stamping, password-protecting, new file creation, and more.
2. Using Acrobat Reader
- Open the PDF file.
- Go to the Tools pane, and select Protection.
- Choose Encrypt, and select Encrypt with Password.
- If you want to change other security settings, select Manage instead.
- A new window will appear containing all the settings that can be switched on and off.
- Select the settings you want to modify, for example:
- When finished changing the settings, click OK.
- Click on File, and select Save.
- Additionally, you could also press Ctrl + S.
For a professional tool to edit, protect and share your PDF files, use Acrobat Reader.
By following these steps, you should be able to make a PDF file more or less restrictive. This ensures that your document cannot be edited, printed, or even opened, even if unauthorized users get their hands on it.
On the flip side, changing security settings can allow you to make a PDF document more flexible for a wider audience.
If you have any other questions regarding the matter, or are interested in similar articles tailored for programs other than Adobe Acrobat, leave us a message in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Take a closer look at our helpful guide in order to remove security settings from Adobe PDF, and find the best solution for you.
To change the properties of a PDF file, you should just select the Custom option, and you’ll be good to go.
When changing the author on a PDF, select Documents, thenDocument Properties. Click the Description tab and make the desired changes in the Author text box.