- Sensitive information must be protected at all costs so you will need to lock a PDF so that it cannot be edited.
- Most PDF handlers come with their own options for disabling functionalities such as copying or printing - but are they enough?
- Do not hesitate to check all the products on our list because you can protect a document even without using a password.
Most PDF programs come with their own options for disabling functionalities such as copying or printing, or feature passwords to protect documents and prevent unauthorized access.
While PDF cracking tools may disable protection, there are some tools that assure users that their methods will prevent copying after processing a PDF document.
How can locking a PDF from editing help me?
The obvious reason why you need to lock a PDF from editing is to preserve the contents of the document from being modified.
It’s one of the most basic ways of copywriting a file and it’s especially used by a lot of businesses that issue documents for their customers.
Ready to discover the best password protect PDF file software tools? Our list of solutions is precisely what you’re looking for.
How can I password protect a PDF file?
1. Use Adobe Acrobat DC PRO
- Launch the Acrobat and open your PDF.
- Go to the Tools menu and select Protect.
- Now the easiest way is to click on Protect Using Password but you can also go through the Advanced Options and select the Encrypt with Certificate or Encrypt with Password options.
- With the first option, you just select the type of protection, to restrict the viewing or editing, write a password twice in the corresponding fields, and hit the Apply button.
- The last thing to do is to choose where you want to save the file and you’re done.
Sensitive information requires enhanced protection and Acrobat DC delivers just that.
Its protection covers all fronts so that you can pick the weapon of choice that best fits your needs from password encryption to setting up file permissions.
To prevent reviewers from copying, editing, or printing your PDFs, you can:
- Secure the files from all your Office programs (prevent your PDF from being copied/modified by restricting editing in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Add passwords (encrypt your PDF file with a certificate or password)
- Publish Sensitive Information feature (redact, password protect a PDF, and save your file with edit and copy restrictions applied automatically)
- Customize your protection (create custom security policies to apply PDF password protection and permissions the same way every time)
Adobe Acrobat DC Pro
Adobe Acrobat DC Pro will fully protect your documents from copying and editing, ideal for sensitive information.
2. Create a local Vault using Icecream Password Manager
- Launch Icecream Password Manager.
- Enter the name of the new Vault, type the password, confirm it, add a hint, and hit the Create button.
- Click the Done button.
- Finally, enter the password you entered earlier and select Done.
- That will open the vault and now you can click on Add item to create protection for a lot of types of credentials.
After taking into consideration the encryption settings that protect some of the most popular password managers, Icecream Password Manager also came up as a reliable choice.
Even if it’s free, rest assured that it easily matches the capabilities of other paid software solutions when it comes to protecting your private PDF files.
Besides that, it’s clear that you’re tired of having to remember dozens of passwords for all the accounts that you use daily.
Icecream Password Manager steps in as a first choice to keep in mind just one master password and get immediate access to all your sensitive data.
Here you’ll find some key features that Icecream Password Manager brings to the table:
- Simple way to manage your passwords
- Intuitive user interface
- Form filler within a single click
- Leading encryption standards
- Plugins for Chrome and Firefox
- Access for up to no less than ten users
Icecream Password Manager
Icecream Password is the best tool to protect sensitive PDF files and manage your passwords.
These are the best methods of protecting your PDF files from unauthorized access. Of course, there are numerous other options available, both free and paid.
We picked the most efficient ones that are guaranteed to offer you the necessary level of protection for your PDF documents.
If you want to go further, you can even use a PDF encryption software tool that will also secure your documents in a very easy manner.
What is your favorite PDF protection tool? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best tools to password protect PDF files aren’t easy to find, so make a choice between Icecream Password Manager and Adobe Acrobat DC PRO.
To encrypt a PDF for free, try using PDFelement, Foxit PDF Security Suite, or other great apps to easily secure PDF files.
You can use the Fill & Sign or Prepare Form tools from Acrobat DC. Also, refer to this list of tools to create editable PDF forms.