- Sensitive information must be protected at all costs so you will need to lock a PDF so that it cannot be edited.
- Most PDF handlers come with their own options for disabling functionalities such as copying or printing - but are they enough?
- The top PDF anti-copy solution from our list is an excellent tool from Adobe.
- Check all the products on our list because we also have a tool that helps you manage your passwords.
Most PDF programs come with their own options for disabling functionalities such as copying or printing, or feature passwords to protect PDF documents and prevent unauthorized access.
While PDF cracking tools may disable protection, there are some tools that assure users that their methods will prevent copying after processing a PDF document.
Ready to discover the best password protect PDF file software tools? Our below list is precisely what you’re looking for.
What are the best tools to password protect a PDF file?
Sensitive information requires enhanced protection and Acrobat DC delivers just that.
Its protection covers all fronts so that you can pick the weapon of choice that best fits your needs from password encryption to set up file permissions.
To prevent reviewers from copying, editing, or printing your PDFs, you can:
- Secure the files from all your Office programs (prevent your PDF from being copied/modified by restricting editing in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Add passwords (encrypt your PDF file with a certificate or password)
- Publish Sensitive Information feature (redact, password protect a PDF, and save your file with edit and copy restrictions applied automatically)
- Customize your protection (create custom security policies to apply PDF password protection and permissions the same way every time)
Adding passwords and permissions to PDF files is easy in Acrobat PRO. Simply follow the steps below:
- Launch the Acrobat and open your PDF.
- Go to the Tools menu and select Protect.
- Choose your preferred protection: restrict editing with a password or encrypt the file with a certificate or password.
- Set the security method.
- Click Save to validate your actions.
Adobe Acrobat DC ProAdobe Acrobat DC Pro will fully protect your documents from copying and editing, ideal for sensitive information.
After taking into consideration the encryption settings that protect some of the most popular password managers, Icecream Password Manager also came up as a reliable choice.
Even if it’s free, rest assured that it easily matches the capabilities of other paid software solutions when it comes to protecting your private PDF files.
Besides that, it’s clear that you’re tired of having to remember dozens of passwords for all the accounts that you use daily.
Icecream Password Manager steps in as a first choice to keep in mind just one master password and get immediate access to all your sensitive data.
Here you’ll find some key features that Icecream Password Manager brings to the table:
- Simple way to manage your passwords
- Intuitive user interface
- Form filler within a single click
- Leading encryption standards
- Plugins for Chrome and Firefox
- Access for up to no less than ten users
Icecream Password ManagerIcecream Password is the best tool to protect sensitive PDF files and manage your passwords.
You can stop users from copying PDF text with the help of the PDF Anti-Copy tool.
The program’s approach is quite unusual as it uses GhostScript and its –NoOutputFonts switch to replace the text with vector graphics.
While the page will look the same, you will not be able to select text anymore. An important downside of the program is how exported documents are not searchable since its text is removed.
Another minus is its size at 4,377KB. On the other hand, the program is easy to use and its interface is quite simple.
After clicking the loading icon to prepare a PDF, the app will list all the pages of the document in its interface and you can apply copy protection to individual pages or to all of them at once.
Click Start Now after selecting the pages and the software will save a copy of the file to your destination folder.
Even if the program is not perfect, it will be useful to prevent users from copying parts of a document or at least make it more difficult for them to do so.
There you go, these are the best methods of protecting your PDF files from unauthorized access. Of course, there are numerous other options available, both free and paid.
If you want to go further, you can also use a PDF encryption software that will also secure your PDF files.
What is your favorite PDF protection tool? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best tools to password protect PDF files aren’t easy to find, so make a choice between Icecream Password Manager and Adobe Acrobat DC PRO.
To encrypt a PDF for free, try using PDFelement, Foxit PDF Security Suite, or other great apps to easily secure PDF files.
You can use the Fill & Sign or Prepare Form tools from Acrobat DC. Also, refer to this list of tools to create editable PDF forms.