How to Change the Scrollbar Width and height in Windows 10, 8.1
Changing the scrollbar width or height in Windows 10, 8.1 can be done very easily. If you increase the width or height of the scrollbar then every time you scroll with your Windows 8 tablet or Laptop through a content of a folder or web page it will appear on the right side of the screen or on the left and it will show a bigger or smaller scrollbar depending on what changes you apply.
Increasing the scrollbar width/height on Windows 8 PC’s or tablets has been an issue for a lot of Windows 8 users. Although you can do it very quick this feature is a bit tricky to get to but we will see below in a short and very easy to do a tutorial how we can change the width/height of the scrollbar in Windows 8.
Change scrollbar width and height on Windows PC
- Press and hold the “Windows” button and the “R” button.
- The “Run” window should pop up.
- Type in the “Run” window the command “regedit”
- Hit “Enter” on the keyboard.
- If you get a message from UAC(User Account Controls) then click (left click) on “Yes”.
- Now you should have in front of you the “Registry Editor” window.
- Click (left click) on “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” situated on the right side of the “Registry Editor” window.
- Under the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” folder click (left click) on “Control Panel”.
- Under the “Control Panel” folder click (left click) on “Desktop”.
- Under the “Desktop” folder click (left click) on “WindowsMetrics”
- The full path above should look like this : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics.
- Now in the right panel you should have there “ScrollHeight”, double click (left click) on it.
- A window named “Edit DWORD” should appear.
- In the field that says “Value Data” should be the value “-255”, this is the default value.
- If you enter for example in that field “600” it will increase your height of the scrollbar to about double (the values that you can enter can go up to 1500, this will increase the height of the scrollbar to the maximum).
- Now it depends on you as how much you want to increase the height of the scrollbar in Windows 10, 8.1.
- For increasing the width of the scrollbar double click (left click) on “ScrollWidth” on the right side panel in “WindowMetrics”.
- Now in the “EDIT DWORD” window put the same data value you entered in the “ScrollHeight” and click (left click) on “OK”.
- In order for the changes to take effect in Windows 10, 8.1 you will have to reboot and sign in again into your user account.
If you managed to change these parameters whithout any problem, you may want to do more things with your scrollbars. You may be one of the users that want to reverse its direction as it is known that many people are used to scroll down in order to get at the top of the page. If you are interested in this particular manipulation, here’s a complete step-by-step guide that will help you reverse the scrolling direction.
This is it, now you can see how easy it is to change the height and width of the scrollbar in Windows 8, please write us below for any input on the subject and best of luck with using Windows 8.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Using a reliable password is paramount if you want to keep your data safe. There have been numerous data leak and data breach reports in […]
Reports are being circulated that Microsoft intends to drop the People bar feature in the Windows 10 19H1 update. The original report came from a […]
A new and very nasty phishing attack has been doing the rounds, and it is extremely difficult to spot. Here is what you need to […]