Full Fix: Windows 10 icons are too big
The first thing many users notice about Windows 10 soon after they install it, is that desktop icons are too large. Big icons are useful for people who have certain eye conditions, but most users find large icons quite annoying. Fortunately, this is an issue that can easily be fixed by customizing the display settings.
Here’s how users describe this issue:
I upgraded to win10 today, and EVERYTHING on my screen is so large…
The resolution is ok, and in display settings the scaling appears to be at 100%, yet the windows and icon are still too big. In win 8.1 the 100% scaling was great, it made everything smaller yet not too small and I sort of liked it, but in Win10 the 100% scaling is way bigger. How can I fix this?
Icons are too big on my Windows 10 PC, how to fix them?
Icons are an integral part of Windows interface, but it seems that some users are having issues with their icons. Speaking of issues, these are some of the most common problems that users encountered:
- Desktop icons are huge Windows 10 – If you’re having problems with the size of desktop icons, you can fix the problem simply by changing their size from the View menu.
- Windows 10 everything is huge – If everything on your screen is huge, it’s possible that you don’t have the necessary drivers installed. Simply visit your graphics card manufacturer and download the latest drivers for your device.
- Windows 10 icons very large, too enlarged, got bigger – According to users, sometimes their icons can become very large. If that’s the case, you can try to change their size simply by pressing Ctrl and scrolling your mouse wheel.
- Windows 10 text and icons too big – Sometimes this issue can occur due to your scaling settings. If that’s the case, try adjusting your scaling settings and check if that helps.
- Windows 10 Taskbar icons too big – If your Taskbar icons are too big, you can change their size simply by modifying your Taskbar settings.
Solution 1 – Change your resolution
Solution 2 – Update your drivers
According to users, if your Windows 10 icons are too big, the issue might be your drivers. If your graphics card drivers are out of date, you’ll be limited to a certain resolution and your icons will appear bigger. However, you can easily fix this problem by updating your graphics card driver.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Desktop Icons Missing in Windows 10
There are several ways to do that, but the best one is to download the driver from the manufacturer’s website. If you don’t know how to do that, we advise you to check our guide on how to update graphics card drivers for detailed step by step instructions.
Once your drivers are up to date, you should be able to change your resolution and your icons will change to the normal size as well.
We also must say that downloading drivers manually is a process that carries the risk of getting the wrong driver installed, which may lead to serious malfunctions. The safer and easier way to update drivers on a Windows computer is by using an automatic tool such as TweakBit Driver Updater.
Solution 3 – Install the missing updates
If your icons are too big on Windows 10, the issue might be the missing updates. Sometimes certain glitches can appear on Windows 10 and that can cause this and many other issues to appear. However, you can easily fix most of those issues simply by installing the missing updates.
In most cases, Windows 10 will automatically install the missing updates, but sometimes you can miss an update or two. However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Now navigate to Update & Security section.
- Click on Check for updates button.
If any updates are available, Windows 10 will download them automatically in the background and install them once you restart your PC. Once your PC is up to date, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 4 – Change the icon size
Solution 5 – Change the size of Taskbar icons
- Right-click on the Taskbar and select Taskbar settings.
- Now enable Use small taskbar buttons.
Solution 6 – Personalize the font size on the desktop and other places in Windows 10
- Go to Settings > System > Advanced display settings.
- Select Advanced sizing of text and other items.
- Select Set a custom scaling level.
- Click on Custom sizing option > Scale to this percentage of normal size.
- Click OK > restart computer.
- Go back to Settings > System > Advanced display settings > Advanced sizing of text and other items.
- Select Change only the text size > personalize the settings.
- Restart your computer.
Problems with large icons can be annoying, but we hope that you fixed the problem by using one of our solutions.
Solution 7 – Use keyboard shortcuts
Changing the icon size is rather simple, and if your icons are too big on Windows 10, you might be able to solve this problem simply by changing their size. To change the icon size, simply press and hold the Ctrl key and scroll with the mouse wheel.
Alternatively, you can use Ctrl and – key to make your icons smaller. If you are a laptop user and you don’t have a mouse, you can simply press Ctrl key and perform the pinching gesture on your touchpad.
All these methods should make your icons smaller, so feel free to try any of them. In our experience, the simplest and the best way to change the size of your icons is to use Ctrl + mouse wheel, so be sure to try this method first.
Solution 8 – Roll back the older graphics driver
If your icons are too big on Windows 10, the issue might be caused by your graphics driver. According to users, they managed to fix the problem simply by rolling back their graphics driver to the older version.
To do that, you need to follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Now select Device Manager from the list.
- When Device Manager opens, locate your graphics card and double click it to open its properties.
- Go to the Driver tab and click Roll Back Driver.
After doing that, your driver will be reverted to the older version. If the problem is resolved, it means that the driver was causing this issue. It’s worth mentioning that Windows 10 will automatically update your drivers, so in order to prevent this issue from reappearing, you’ll need to prevent Windows from updating your graphics card driver. To see how to do that, be sure to check our guide on how to prevent driver updates on Windows 10.
If you don’t have the Roll Back option available, you can try installing the older driver manually. This is rather simple and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Device Manager, locate your display adapter, right click it and choose Update driver.
- Choose Browse my computer for driver software.
- Now select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Locate the older driver and install it.
After doing that, the issue should be completely resolved.
If rolling back to the older driver doesn’t help, you can always uninstall your driver and use the default driver instead. To do that, just select the Uninstall option in Device Manager and restart your PC. After doing that, your PC will install the default driver once it restarts.
- READ ALSO: How to download Windows 10 Icon Packs
Solution 9 – Change your scaling settings
According to users, your Windows 10 icons can become too big due to your scaling settings. Sometimes this problem can occur due to a certain bug with Windows, but you can fix this bug by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Now navigate to the System section.
- Set the scaling to 125% and log out of your PC.
- Now log back in and set scaling to 100%. Now you need to log out and log back in.
After doing that, the problem with large icons should be resolved and everything should start working again. This is a simple workaround, and it works great according to users, so we advise you to try it out.
Solution 10 – Create a .reg file and add it to your registry
According to users, you might be able to fix this issue simply by creating a single .reg file and adding it to your registry. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Notepad.
- When Notepad opens, paste the following:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
“Shell Icon Size”=”32”
- Now click on File > Save as.
- Set Save as type to All Files. Now enter icons.reg as the file name. Choose a save location and click the Save button.
- Now locate icons.reg and double click it to run it. When the confirmation dialog appears, click Yes to confirm.
After doing that, your registry will be modified and the issue with large icons should be resolved.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Display driver failed to recover from timeout on Windows 10
- Microsoft updates Hyper-V to work better with high DPI displays
- Fix: Only secure content is displayed on Windows 10
The symbiosis of the internet and advertising has long been understood. Everyone understands that if you have access to something that is ‘free’, inasmuch as […]
Firefox has announced that it will start to warn users if they visit any breached sites. This is in an attempt to not only make […]