You will get to a point in your Windows 8.1 usage where you might have to change your product key. If you skipped the product key section when you first installed Windows 8.1 on your PC, laptop or other devices you might be asked for it again after a while. There are some consequences if you do not activate your Windows 8.1 with a product key and one of them being the disabling of the customization of the start screen in Windows 8.1.
We have posted a few options below that you can take in order to change the Windows 8.1 product key for your device. As a side note you should be very careful and type in the correct product key when you are asked for it as it may lead to some system issues if you miss-type the product key . Also you don’t need to worry anymore about this issue because you will see below a very easy fix and you can go on with your everyday activities on your Windows 8.1 device.
Steps for changing Windows 8.1 Product key
- In the Start screen of your Windows 8.1 device you will need to start typing “cmd admin”.
- After you have the “cmd admin” icon in the search result left click on it.
Note: If only the cmd icon appeared you can right click on it and select the option “Run as administrator”.
- Now that you have the command prompt with administrative privileges in front of you type in there the command “slmgr.vbs -ipk ACTIVATION KEY”.
Note: in the command above instead of “ACTIVATION KEY” you need to type you activation code.
- After you’ve written the command above hit “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- A “Windows Script host” window will pop up and you will need to left click on the “OK” button in the lower side of that window.
- Now in the command prompt window you need to type “slmgr.vbs -ipk ACTIVATION KEY”.
Note: in the command above instead of “ACTIVATION KEY” you need to type you activation code/key.
- After you’ve written the command above hit again “Enter” on the keyboard.
- Now another “Windows script host” window will appear saying that your product activated successfully.
- Reboot the Windows 8.1 operating system.
- After the reboot your product should be activated and the Microsoft watermark will no longer be on your desktop.
- Again like in the first step type in the start screen of Windows 8.1 “cmd admin”.
- Left click on the icon that shows in the search box.
- Type in the command prompt window the following line “slui 3”.
- A window will pop up where you will need to type in the product key of the Windows 8.1 operating system.
- You will need to left click on the “Activate” button you have in that window or just hit the “Enter” key after you typed the key in.
Note: For this option to work you will have be have an internet connection.
- Reboot the Windows 8.1 device.
- See if your Windows 8.1 activated correctly and the watermark disappeared from your desktop.
So here it is, two options that you can try to change your Windows 8.1 product key and activate your Windows 8.1 operating system. Write us in the comment section below for any question you might have on this article.