- Google Chrome is a solid browser, but some users are concerned about their privacy while browsing the web.
- Google Chrome is great because it has extensions for almost every purpose.
- If you’re concerned about your privacy, here are the best VPN extensions for Google Chrome.
- This article is just a part of our Chrome hub, so be sure to visit it if you want to learn more about Chrome.
Virtual Private Networks or VPNs are becoming more and more popular these days.
They have various uses starting with regular Internet users who just want to circumnavigate geo-blocking restrictions to companies or larger organizations that plan to provide enhanced functionality to their work-from-home employees.
If you’re a Chrome user, it’s great to have a VPN within the browser. There are various options of VPNs available on the market, and we picked out five of the best to narrow your choices.
Check out their features and get the one that seems to fit your needs best.
NOTE: The solutions listed below are also available as stand-alone software. For enhanced privacy and data protection, we recommend downloading the stand-alone tools.
However, if you want to download and install the browser extension only, you can find the download link below as well.
What are the best Chrome VPN extensions to get?
Topping out our list is a VPN product developed by Kape Technologies that has proven its efficiency over and over in our tests, and we looked specifically to see how well it faired with Chrome during our tests since Chrome is one of the most popular browsers out there after all.
Fortunately enough, Private Internet Access is the type of VPN service that covers pretty much every platform that it can. This includes Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and more.
Of course, Windows users will be happy to know that PIA comes in the form of both a downloadable client and a browser extension, one specifically made for Chrome for that matter.
However, it doesn’t matter how many platforms a service covers if users can’t navigate through it. Fortunately enough, that isn’t the case with Private Internet Access, since all versions of the program boast an incredibly simplistic UI.
In the case of Chrome users, simply make sure that the extension is installed and running before you access a particular website, and that’s pretty much it.
Here are some of the perks of using Private Internet Access:
- Doesn’t slow down your Chrome browser
- You won’t feel a difference in connection speed
- Your data is encrypted
- Your Internet activity is completely private
- Over 3400 servers in 45 countries offer perfect location masking
- Incredibly affordable price
Private Internet AccessKeep your browsing habits private with this amazing VPN, now at a discounted price for a limited time only!
Our second entry in this list is another product from Kape Technologies called CyberGhost VPN, and it is one of the best VPNs out there. Check out the best features that are included in this service:
- This service can bypass China’s Firewall, and this is because the company does not have any servers in the area to stay away from the government’s area.
- CyberGhost also manages to unblock a lot of streaming services including Netflix. It’s one of the best VPNs for Netflix UK.
- CyberGhost is an excellent VPN with reliable connections and speed as well.
- It has the ability to connect five devices at the same time.
- The company offers a Live Chat and email service.
- The website provides tons of guides to help you troubleshoot if you have problems.
- CyberGhost also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
The affordable prices of CyberGhost VPN and the various servers make this an excellent service. You can check out more of its features on its official website.
If you’re interested in downloading the VPN browser extension only, you can get the Cyberghost Chrome extension (limited features).
Another great VPN service that has its own Chrome extension is NordVPN developed by Tefincom & Co., S.A. This service has more than 5000 servers located in 62 different countries around the world, which means that you can easily get access to any geo-restricted content.
As for security, you should know that all your traffic is encrypted, and thanks to the 256-bit encryption, third parties won’t be able to see your browsing data.
Regarding the supported protocols, this service uses IKEv2/IPsec and OpenVPN protocols. NordVPN also has CyberSec feature available that can block dangerous websites and ads.
If you require additional protection, there’s a double VPN feature available. Thanks to this feature, you can route all your traffic through another VPN server and encrypt it once again for extra protection.
It’s worth mentioning that NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy, which means that NordVPN won’t keep any logs related to your online activity.
In order to protect your identity online, NordVPN has an Automatic Kill Switch that will automatically block your device in case the VPN connection is broken, thus ensuring your privacy.
There’s also a DNS Leak Protection available that should prevent your ISP or other DNS provider from keeping track of the websites you visit.
For extra security, there’s also an Onion Over VPN feature that will allow you to easily connect to the Onion network.
Overall, NordVPN is a great VPN client, and if you’re looking for a VPN that is available on multiple platforms and it has both Firefox and Chrome extension, we suggest that you try out NordVPN.
- Over 5000 servers in 62 different countries
- 256-bit encryption
- Support for IKEv2/IPsec and OpenVPN protocols
- Double VPN feature for extra protection
- DNS Leak and Automatic Kills Switch features
- Onion Over VPN
- Available all major platforms
- Extensions for Chrome and Firefox
This one is a great Chrome VPN extension that lets you access websites blocked in your country, school or company. Hola is a free and easy to use VPN.
Check out more of its remarkable features:
- It allows you to access websites that are blocked or censored in your country, school or company.
- You can stream media with this free Hola Unblocker VPN proxy service.
- Hola allows you to unblock geographically restricted services and websites.
- You can select from which country you want to access the Internet.
- It’s effortless to install and use.
- Hola is an ad-free proxy service that offers users a faster and more open Internet.
- Hola routes traffic through peer nodes provided by the 115 million users of the service.
- When it’s turned on, you can’t search in Google and Hola offers to buy a paid VPN from one of its competitors if you want to use Google while browsing the web.
- Hola uses s tiny part of each peer’s resources, and it only does this when the peer is idle.
- Hola claims that using peers to route traffic instead of servers makes connections more anonymous and also more secure.
Hola is free for non-commercial users, but it charges a fee to commercial ones. You can check out more details and get Hola from the official website.
DotVPN is a VPN provider from Hong Kong, and it has over 700 servers located in 10 countries all over the world.
It provides unlimited server switches and an unlimited amount of bandwidth. The company doesn’t require extensive personal and banking data in order to provide you access to their service.
Check out more essential features of this service below:
- You can enjoy this free VPN service, and all you need to do is register with an email address.
- Their proxy add-on lets you register easily on both the free and the paid version.
- You will be able to thoroughly enjoy encrypted tunneling via add-ons for Google Chrome and more.
- The free version of the service is currently used by more than half a million active users.
- The process of installing the software is really effortless.
- After you download it, you will need to create a profile by signing up and then log in with your ID to enjoy the complete functionalities of this service.
- If you want more benefits, you can purchase the premium option.
- Dot VPN uses proxy servers, and this will give you access to content on blocked websites.
ZenMate VPN is created by ZenGuard a company based in Berlin, Germany.
This service provides an easy to use VPN that is ideal for users who want to secure their privacy and watch Netflix without having to deal with all kinds of complicated setup procedures and security issues.
Take a look at more impressive features that come with this service:
- ZenMate provides a free plugin that offers a VPN secure tunneling service for both browsers (including Chrome, of course) and mobile devices.
- The VPN comes in a free version, but there is also a fully paid premium version available.
- The premium version offers functions also outside of the browser for VoIP needs and downloads.
- The VPN tunnel is designed to offer exceptional security for your browsing activity, downloads and any sensitive information that you may transmit.
If you decide to sign in for the free service, you will not have the ability to choose the server location. To be able to have that choice, you have to get the premium package.
There are more than 20 locations for you to choose from. Premium users will also gain access to exclusively enhanced speeds.
This is a useful and fast proxy service originally developed by AnchorFree Inc., and it provides users access to a selection of well-encrypted IP addresses.
This service has managed to prove itself one of the most effective at hiding data and this way it reduces the risk of interception significantly.
Check out more impressive features that are included in this service:
- Hotspot Shield VPN is also able to compress your data, and this allows it to move quicker towards the destination.
- There are some servers located in the US, but their locations of the number of the IP addresses available is not disclosed by Hotspot Shield VPN.
- The service comes with excellent value for privacy and security.
- You will get unlimited bandwidth, but the rules of your Internet service will still be applied.
- Hotspot Shield VPN offers its users proprietary data compressions.
- When you’re using the service, the size of your data will be significantly reduced, and it will be able to be transmitted quickly.
- Installing and setting up Hotspot Shield VPN is really easy.
- There are a few options available if you want to configure the service according to your network.
- Adjusting your preferences will be easy thanks to the intuitive interface that Hotspot Shield VPN comes with.
For tech support, there is an email address provided for users, and there’s also a FAQ page with really helpful information regarding the usage of this proxy service.
These are five of the best Chrome VPN extensions that you will currently find on the market.
There are free and paid versions as well, and it’s best if you head over to their official websites to analyze their complete set of features before deciding which VPN Chrome extension works best for your needs.
FAQ: Learn more about Google Chrome
- What is a VPN extension?
VPN extension is an extension for your browser that will allow your browser to get connected to the VPN network without the need for dedicated VPN applications.
- Is free VPN safe?
Free VPNs are somewhat safe, but they won’t offer the same level of privacy as the premium VPNs. More so, free VPNs come with some hidden costs.
- Is browser VPN safe?
Browser VPNs are safe, but if you want the best protection, it might be better that you use a standalone VPN client. However, there are a few browsers that have proven to have solid built-in VPNs, such as UR Browser.
- How can I open blocked sites?
To open blocked sites, the best option is to use a VPN client or a VPN extension in your browser and select a region that isn’t blocked by the website you’re trying to visit.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.