- Chances are you’ve heard before that the CompatTelRunner.exe file causes high CPU usage.
- If you don’t know what it is and how to get rid of it right away, refer to the lines below.
- Accurate solutions to similar issues you may experience are found in our EXE File section.
- For more answers to your never-ending questions, feel free to use our Tech Definitions Hub.
Windows users may sometimes notice some strange files on their computers. Usually, these files go undetected until they impact your computer in a negative manner.
High CPU usage is usually the most common tell-tale signs. In this article, we’re going to talk about the CompatTelRunner.exe file.
We’ll tell what this file is and how it affects your computer, so don’t hesitate to keep on reading.
What is CompatTelRunner.exe?
The CompatTelRunner.exe file is a Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry file located in the
Microsoft uses Telemetry to collect system data in order to keep Windows devices secure and improve the quality of its services.
The CompatTelRunner.exe file is also used to upgrade your system to the latest OS version and install the latest updates.
This Windows system file is not visible and the technical security rating is 0% dangerous, although many users would say otherwise.
I have upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 10 and the harddrive is fully claimed by “compattelrunner.exe”. […]
After booting my laptop the compattelrunner.exe is claiming my harddisk for more then 20 minutes. Is there a real solution to stop/disable compattelrunner in Windows 10?
Indeed, the CompatTelRunner.exe file is infamous among Windows 7 and Windows 10 users for causing high CPU usage.
As a result, your computer becomes really slow and the only way to solve this problem is to uninstall the file.
Secondly, users are also angry with Microsoft for installing unwanted software on their computers.
Many players complain about CompatTelRunner.exe’s malware-like behavior, which re-installs on their computers despite having been removed several times before.
Microsoft updates install a program called compattelrunner.exe on my computer without my authorization even though my update settings say Download important updates but let me choose whether to install them. Compattelrunner.exe serves no legitimate or beneficial purpose, and causes serious performance problems (applications running slowly or freezing up).
Now that we know what CompatTelRunner.exe’s role is, let’s see how we can get rid of it.
How to disable CompatTelRunner.exe?
1. Disable it from Task Scheduler
- Start Task Scheduler.
- Go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience.
- Disable all three tasks in that folder.
- Go to Ask Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Customer Experience Improvement Program.
- Disable all three tasks in that folder.
For all versions of Windows, start by removing it from the Task Scheduler:
2. Tweak the Registry
- Start Registry Editor (regedit.exe) as Administrator.
- Go to
- Rename the entry from TelemetryController to TelemetryControllerX.
- Restart your computer.
Then for Windows 10, you need to kill CompatTelRunner.exe from the registry. If Registry Editor won’t open, check this detailed article to see how to fix it.
3. Run SFC
- Launch Command Prompt (Admin) as an administrator.
- Enter sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
- Wait until the repair process is completed (this may take a while).
This command helps you to fix system file issues by replacing missing or corrupted files. Follow the steps above to launch the scan.
4. Clean boot your PC
- Navigate to Start > type msconfig > press Enter.
- Go to System Configuration > click on the Services tab > check the Hide all Microsoft services check box > click Disable all.
- Go to the Startup tab > Open Task Manager.
- Select each startup item > click Disable > close Task Manager > restart the computer.
Clean booting your device allows you to start your machine using only a minimum set of drivers and programs so as to avoid software compatibility issues.
However, the catch is that you’ll need to do this every time Windows installs new updates on your machine.
Have you applied the above procedures? Let us know if any of them worked for you by using the comments area below.
FAQ: Learn more about CompatTelRunner.exe
- Is CompatTelRunner.exe safe?
Since we are talking about the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry process, it is considered 100% safe. This doesn’t change that there’s a malware-like behavior involved too.
Unfortunately, there are times when CompatTelRunner.exe reinstalls on its own.
- Can I disable CompatTelRunner.exe?
Yes, you can disable the CompatTelRunner.exe file by using Task Scheduler or a reliable third-party tool, as described in this dedicated guide.
- Should I disable Telemetry in Windows 10?
CompatTelRunner.exe file is known for causing high CPU usage, so disabling Telemetry may be a wise choice.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.