CompatTelRunner.exe file: What is it and how to disable it
Windows users may sometimes notice some strange files on their computers. Usually, these files go undetected until they impact your computer in a negative manner. High CPU usage is usually the most common tell-tale signs.
In this article, we’re going to talk about the CompatTelRunner.exe file. We’ll tell what this file is and how it affects your computer.
What is CompatTelRunner.exe?
To start with, the CompatTelRunner.exe file is a Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry file located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Microsoft uses Telemetry to collect system data in order to keep Windows devices secure and improve the quality of its services.
The CompatTelRunner.exe file is also used to upgrade your system to the latest OS version and install the latest updates.
This Windows system file is not visible and the technical security rating is 0% dangerous, although many users would say otherwise.
I have upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 10 and the harddrive is fully claimed by “compattelrunner.exe”. […]
After booting my laptop the compattelrunner.exe is claiming my harddisk for more then 20 minutes. Is there a real solution to stop/disable compattelrunner in Windows 10?
Indeed, the CompatTelRunner.exe file is infamous among Windows 7 and Windows 10 users for causing high CPU usage. As a result, you computer becomes really slow and the only way to solve this problem is to uninstall the file.
Secondly, users are angry with Microsoft for installing unwanted software on their computers. Many players complain about CompatTelRunner.exe’s malware-like behavior, which re-installs on their computers despite having been removed several times before.
Microsoft updates install a program called compattelrunner.exe on my computer without my authorization even though my update settings say, “Download important updates but let me choose whether to install them.” Compattelrunner.exe serves no legitimate or beneficial purpose, and causes serious performance problems (applications running slowly or freezing up).
How to disable CompatTelRunner.exe
Now that we know what CompatTelRunner.exe’s role is, let’s see how we can get rid of it.
Step 1: Disable it from Task Scheduler
For all versions of Windows, start by removing it from the Task Scheduler:
- Start Task Scheduler
- Go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience
- Disable all three tasks in that folder
- Go to Ask Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Customer Experience Improvement Program
- Disable all three tasks in that folder
Step 2: Tweak the Registry
Then for Windows 10, you need to kill CompatTelRunner.exe from the registry:
- Start Registry Editor (regedit.exe) as Administrator
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\TelemetryController
- Rename the entry from TelemetryController to TelemetryControllerX
- Restart your computer.
Step 3: Run SFC
This command helps you to fix system file issues by replacing missing or corrupted files. Follow these steps to launch the scan:
- Launch Command Prompt (Admin) as an administrator.
- Enter sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
- Wait until the repair process is completed (this may take a while).
Step 4: Clean boot your PC
Clean booting your device allows you to start your machine using only a minimum set of drivers and programs so as to avoid software compatibility issues. Here’s how to do that:
- Navigate to Start > type msconfig > press Enter
- Go to System Configuration > click on the Services tab > check the Hide all Microsoft services check box > click Disable all.
- Go to the Startup tab > Open Task Manager.
- Select each startup item > click Disable > close Task Manager > restart the computer.
However, the catch is that you’ll need to do this every time Windows installs new updates on your machine.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Hxtsr.exe file: What is it and how it affects Windows 10 computers
- MEMZ virus: what is it and how it affects Windows PC?
- We answer: What is Telnet in Windows 10 and how to use it?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2017 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
If you want your laptop to work properly, you need to have the appropriate software installed. Speaking of software, users reported that they can’t install […]
Are you getting a “printer needs user intervention” error message when printing documents? The error message might appear on the printer‘s top panel display as […]
XAML or Extensible Application Markup Language, is a language based on XML(Extensive Markup Language). Its use ranges from creating to initializing .NET objects. It’s primarily […]