How to Connect a Bluetooth Mouse to Windows 10, 8.1
If you upgraded to Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 and your Bluetooth mouse failed to connect after the upgrade then read below this article to find out more on how to connect your Bluetooth mouse on Windows 10, 8.1. Your Bluetooth might fail to connect for several reasons on your Windows 10 and 8.1 but don’t worry because we are going to solve this issue by doing a few easy steps below.
First of all before we start the troubleshooting in Windows 10 and 8.1 we will need to check the batteries of the mouse or any other Bluetooth device because if the batteries don’t have the sufficient power then your Windows 8 PC or laptop will fail to receive the transmission of the mouse , therefore, failing to connect to your Bluetooth feature.
How to solve connection issues with Bluetooth mouse on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1
1. Use Bluetooth Support Service
- Press and hold the buttons “Windows” and “R”.
- Now that you have the “Run” window opened we need to type in the search box “services.msc” (type the word without the quotes).
- After you finished typing hit the “Enter” on the keyboard.
- Now a “Services” window will pop up, we need to look in the list presented for “Bluetooth Support Service”.
- Double click (left click) on “Bluetooth Support Service” after you find it.
- Click (left click) on the “General” tab presented in the upper side of the window you opened (Bluetooth Support Service Properties).
- In the “General” tab click on the menu next to “Startup type” and click(left click) on “Automatic”
- Now we need to click (left click) on the “Log on” tab in the upper side of the Bluetooth window.
- Click (left click) on “This Account” in order to enable this feature.
- Type in there your account name or browse to find the account name.
- After the above step we need to delete the “Password” field and the “Confirm Password” field.
- Click(left click) on “OK” in the lower side of the Bluetooth window.
- Reboot the Windows 10, 8.1 PC or laptop.
- After the PC or laptop boots up we need to install the latest Bluetooth drivers available on the manufacturer’s website for Windows 10 or Windows 8.1.
2. Bluetooth drivers not found
If the above steps don’t solve your Bluetooth mouse issue then we will need to do the steps presented below:
There might be a possibility that you wont find the Bluetooth drivers for Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 .
- Press and hold the buttons “Windows” and “R” .
- After you have the “Run” window opened we need to type in there “regedit”.
- Hit the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- Now that the “Registry Editor” window is opened we need to click (left click) on “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”.
- In the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” folder we need to click (left click) on “SOFTWARE”.
- In the “SOFTWARE” folder we need to click (left click) on “Microsoft”.
- In the “Microsoft” folder we need to click (left click) on “Windows NT”.
- In the “Windows NT” folder we need to click (left click) on “CurrentVersion”.
Note: the path should look like this “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion”
- In the “CurrentVersion” folder we will need to look on the right side for the file “CurrentVersion” and double click (left click) on it.
- After the “Edit String” window pops up we need to modify the value in there from “6.3” to “6.2”.
- Click (left click) on “OK”.
- Reboot the Windows 10, 8.1 PC and check your Bluetooth mouse to see if it works.
3. Bluetooth mouse not working in Windows 10, 8.1
If your Bluetooth mouse is simply not working, you can try some of the solutions from this fix article:
- Change power and sleep settings
- Check if Bluetooth service is running (just in case)
- Restart the Bluetooth mouse
- Change mouse frequency
- Roll back your drivers
- Change power management options
You will find how to do id step by step in the article mentioned above, and this will help you fix this annoying issue.
Above you have 2 ways on how to fix your Bluetooth transmission on Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 in order to recognize your mouse. Write us below if you have any questions regarding this article and we will see what we can do to help you further.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Microsoft scheduled major maintenance works for Xbox Live on February, 19 but the effects are still visible today. The maintenance was scheduled between 2:00PM UTC and 6:00PM […]
One of the issues that affect the otherwise awesome HP Connection Manager utility is the HP connection manager fatal error problem. The program, created to […]