- DSS files are generated by digital voice recorders or speech recognition software.
- While they are not hugely popular audio file formats, you might need to open one, and this is how to open dss file.
- You can do that with a couple of tools that support this format or by converting them into a more common file type.
- Check out the guide below to discover the methods for opening and even editing a .dss file.
DSS stands for Digital Speech Standard. Developed by the Internation Voice Association, DSS files are generated by the digital voice recorders or speech recognition software.
If you try to play a DSS file on a Windows computer using any of the media players like VLC or Windows Media Player, the players cannot play the files.
There are two ways to play a DSS file on Windows. You can either convert the DSS file to a more common format like WAV using an audio converter or download a third-party tool that is compatible with the DSS files.
How can I play a DSS file on Windows?
1. Use Adobe Premiere Pro
Before starting searching for codecs, players, and problems on your OS, we would recommend you to let a third-party software do the job for you.
Adobe Premiere Pro is an amazing tool that supports pretty much any type of video file format, DSS files included, for both import and export.
It is perfect for opening, viewing, editing MP4 and other video-format files, so be sure to try it out now.
Adobe Premiere ProPlay your favorite DSS file on a Windows computer using this great tool with all its useful features that will not disappoint you!
2. Play DSS file on Media Player Classic – Home Cinema
- Go to MPC-HC project page.
- Click on MPC-HC Download Now button to begin the download.
- Once the download is complete, run the installer. Click Yes when prompted by the UAC to grant permission. Wait for the player to be installed.
- Launch MPC-HC media player on your PC.
- Click on File and select Open File.
- Click the Browse button and select your DSS file. Select Open.
- That’s it. the MPC-HD player should start playing the DSS file now on Windows 10.how to
MPC-HC is an extremely light-weight media player. Being an open-source project, it is free to download and use.
Although the developers have stopped working on the project since 2017, MPC-HC is fully capable of playing any DSS file.
Apart from the ability to play a DSS file, MPC-HC is fully compatible with most of the other video and audio formats as well. You can also customize the player to fit your needs.
3. DSS to Audio File Converters
If you want to convert the DSS file to import it to your mobile device that does not support the format or the player to play the file, you can transcode a DSS file in WAV format.
There are three popular DSS file converters that you can use. These tools come with either free or paid license, so, pick your tool depending on your needs.
iWisoft Free Video Converter
- iWisoft Free Video Converter is a powerful and multi-functional video converter.
- It supports file formats like AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4, MPEG, MKV, RM, RMVB, SWF, MOV, M4V, 3GP, DSS, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, M4A, AC3, AAC, FLAC, APE and more.
- You can download the tool from here.
Switch Audio File Converter
- Switch Audio File Converter is another powerful audio converter available for Windows OS.
- It comes in both free and paid versions depending on the use.
- To convert the DSS file, download Switch Audio File Converter.
- Install the converter.
- Click on Open File and then select All files in the browser window.
- Select a DSS file that you want to convert.
- Select the Output format and then click on Convert.
- Wait for the tool to download any necessary codec to convert the file.
4. Use WavePad Audio Editing Software
WavePad is a professional audio editing software that supports a large number of file formats including MP3, WAV, VOX, GSM, WMA, AU, AIF, FLAC, DSS, real audio, OGG, AAC, M4A, MID, AMR, and many more.
Easily edit audio files including DSS with the most comprehensive sound editing tools that cut, copy, split, trim, and more. Advanced tools include spectral analysis (FFT), speech synthesis (text-to-speech), and voice changer.
Audio effects include amplification, equalization, normalization, reverb, reverse echo, and many more.
Its interface is intuitive and easy to use plus it integrates non-destructive audio editing tools.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Editing Tools (cut, copy, paste, delete, insert, silence, auto-trim, compress, pitch-shift, and more)
- Audio Effects (amplify, normalize, equalize and more)
- Supports all popular audio formats (.amr, .ape, .au, .asf, .avi, .caf, .cda, .dct, .ds2, .dss, .dvf, .flac, .flv, .gsm, .m3u, .m4a, .m4r, .mid, .mod, .moh, .mov, .mp2, .mp3, .mpc , .mpga, .mpg/mpeg, .msv, .ogg, .pls, .ra, .raw, .shn, .spx, .sri, .voc, .vox, .wav, .wma, .wmv .wv)
- Batch Processing (edit many audio files simultaneously)
- Audio Restoration
- Spectral analysis, FFT and TFFT
DSS files are really not that common, however, you might come across them. If such is the case, feel free to use MPC-HC or WavePad to open them or use dedicated software to convert them first.
What will be your choice? Let us know in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
A DSS is an audio file format used to store voice data in a highly-compressed format. Take a closer look at our best audio converter software list to find the proper one for your needs.
You can use Media Player Classic – Home Cinema or a professional audio editing software that supports this particular format like Adobe Premiere Pro.
One popular tool you can use is the Switch Audio File Converter. Simply install the converter, click on Open File, and select the DSS file that you want to convert, then select the output format, and then click on Convert.