DSS stands for Digital Speech Standard. Developed by the Internation Voice Association, DSS files are generated by the digital voice recorders or speech recognition software. If you try to play a DSS file on Windows computer using any of the media players like VLC or Windows Media Player, the players cannot play the files.
There are two ways to play a DSS file on Windows. You can either convert the DSS file to a more common format like WAV using an audio converter or download a third-party tool that is compatible with the DSS files.
How to play a DSS file on Windows
1. Play DSS file on Media Player Classic – Home Cinema
MPC-HC is an extremely light-weight media player. Being an open-source project, it is free to download and use. Although the developers have stopped working on the project since 2017, MPC-HC is fully capable of playing any DSS file.
- Go to MPC-HC project page.
- Click on MPC-HC Download Now button to begin the download.
- Once the download is complete, run the installer. Click Yes when prompted by the UAC to grant permission. Wait for the player to be installed.
- Launch MPC-HC media player on your PC.
- Click on File and select Open File.
- Click the Browse button and select your DSS file. Select Open.
- That’s it. the MPC-HD player should start playing the DSS file now on Windows 10.
Apart from the ability to play a DSS file, MPC-HC is fully compatible with most of the other video and audio formats as well. You can also customize the player to fit your needs.
2. DSS to Audio File Converters
If you want to convert the DSS file to import it to your mobile device that does not support the format or the player to play the file, you can transcode a DSS file in WAV format.
There are three popular DSS file converters that you can use. These tools come with either free or paid license, so, pick your tool depending on your needs.
iWisoft Free Video Converter
- iWisoft Free Video Converter is a powerful and multi-functional video converter.
- It supports file formats like AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4, MPEG, MKV, RM, RMVB, SWF, MOV, M4V, 3GP, DSS, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, M4A, AC3, AAC, FLAC, APE and more.
- You can download the tool from here.
Switch Audio File Converter
- Switch Audio File Converter is another powerful audio converter available for Windows OS.
- It comes in both free and paid version depending on the use.
- To convert the DSS file, download Switch Audio File Converter.
- Install the converter.
- Click on Open File and then select All files in the browser window.
- Select a DSS file that you want to convert.
- Select the Output format and then click on Convert.
- Wait for the tool to download any necessary codec to convert the file.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE:
- 6 best virtual surround sound software for a great audio experience
- Top 3 AMR to MP3 converters to change audio formats quickly
- 5 best cross platform headsets to buy and enjoy awesome audio quality