- DSS files are generated by digital voice recorders or speech recognition software.
- While they are not hugely popular audio file formats, you might need to open one, and this is how to open dss file.
- You can do that with a couple of tools that support this format or by converting them into a more common file type.
- The Adobe suite offers a great tool for opening and even editing a .dss file, among others, so be sure to check them out below.
DSS stands for Digital Speech Standard. Developed by the Internation Voice Association, DSS files are generated by the digital voice recorders or speech recognition software.
If you try to play a DSS file on a Windows computer using any of the media players like VLC or Windows Media Player, the players cannot play the files.
There are two ways to play a DSS file on Windows. You can either convert the DSS file to a more common format like WAV using an audio converter or download a third-party tool that is compatible with the DSS files.
How can I play a DSS file on Windows?
1. Use a third-party audio converter
Before starting searching for codecs, players, and problems on your OS, we would recommend you to let third-party software do the job for you.
You can find various audio converter software that will surely help with DSS files and play your speech files effortlessly.
By using specialized software it’s more efficient to convert digital voice recorder files and then play them without any problems.
Therefore, if you need a valuable solution to handle DSS files easily then benefit from the best audio converter software.
2. Play DSS file on Media Player Classic – Home Cinema
- Go to MPC-HC project page.
- Click on MPC-HC Download Now button to begin the download.
- Once the download is complete, run the installer. Click Yes when prompted by the UAC to grant permission. Wait for the player to be installed.
- Launch MPC-HC media player on your PC.
- Click on File and select Open File.
- Click the Browse button and select your DSS file. Select Open.
- That’s it. the MPC-HD player should start playing the DSS file now on Windows 10.how to
MPC-HC is an extremely lightweight media player. Being an open-source project, it is free to download and use.
Although the developers have stopped working on the project since 2017, MPC-HC is fully capable of playing any DSS file.
Apart from the ability to play a DSS file, MPC-HC is fully compatible with most of the other video and audio formats as well. You can also customize the player to fit your needs.
3. DSS to Audio File Converters
If you want to convert the DSS file to import it to your mobile device that does not support the format or the player to play the file, you can transcode a DSS file in WAV format.
There are three popular DSS file converters that you can use. These tools come with either free or paid license, so, pick your tool depending on your needs.
iWisoft Free Video Converter
- iWisoft Free Video Converter is a powerful and multi-functional video converter.
- It supports file formats like AVI, WMV, FLV, MP4, MPEG, MKV, RM, RMVB, SWF, MOV, M4V, 3GP, DSS, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, M4A, AC3, AAC, FLAC, APE and more.
- You can download the tool from here.
Switch Audio File Converter
- Switch Audio File Converter is another powerful audio converter available for Windows OS.
- It comes in both free and paid versions depending on the use.
- To convert the DSS file, download Switch Audio File Converter.
- Install the converter.
- Click on Open File and then select All files in the browser window.
- Select a DSS file that you want to convert.
- Select the Output format and then click on Convert.
- Wait for the tool to download any necessary codec to convert the file.
4. Use an Audio Editing Software
Another viable solution is to employ an effective audio editing tool that can play infinite audio formats, including DSS files.
There are plenty of professional audio editors that can manage all kinds of audio files and help you acquire the best sound of all time.
An audio editing tool will provide complete recording and editing services, as well as playback of various audio formats, allowing you to listen to everything without compatibility issues.
To see for yourself, it is recommended to consider the best audio editing software available now on the market.
DSS files are really not that common, however, you might come across them. If such is the case, feel free to use MPC-HC or WavePad to open them or use dedicated software to convert them first.
What will be your choice? Let us know in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
A DSS is an audio file format used to store voice data in a highly-compressed format. Take a closer look at our best audio converter software list to find the proper one for your needs.
You can use Media Player Classic – Home Cinema or a professional audio editing software that supports this particular format like Adobe Premiere Pro.
One popular tool you can use is the Switch Audio File Converter. Simply install the converter, and convert the desired DSS file into the output format.