- Whether you are an amateur or professional in audio editing, our list will help you pick the right software for you
- You might also like our top list on best audio enhancers for Windows 10
- Adobe Audition is our favorite choice when it comes to pro audio editing
- Check more guides on audio editing made by our top editors!
If you like playing with sounds, you need a powerful audio editor. Whether you want to create your own ringtones or simply create and edit music, a reliable tool to edit audio files will always ease your work.
There are many audio editors available on the market, and you should choose the one that best suits your needs.
When choosing an audio editor, you should first have in mind the purpose you’re going to use that tool for. Then, you should go through the list of features and see if a particular audio editing tool meets your needs.
User feedback is also important, as it gives you more information about what the actual user experience is.
In this article, we’re going to take into consideration all these elements and list the best tools to edit audio files in Windows 10.
Here are the best audio editors for Windows 10
1. Adobe Audition (Editor’s Choice)
This tool allows you to edit your audio files like a pro: you can mix, edit, and create audio content with a tool that includes multitrack, waveform, and spectral display. Your audio files will have a pristine sound thanks to Adobe Audition.
Let’s see what this tool can do:
- Record audio files
- Import audio files and browse media
- Remove noise from audio files: use the Paintbrush selection tool to select the unwanted noise and simply remove it
- Remove background noise, and “heal” your files automatically before you export them.
Adobe Audition is a part of Adobe Creative Cloud and offers professional-level editing features for your audio files. The software’s user interface is similar to that of other Adobe products, and this will help you to quickly get started with the tool.
Tutorials are available for various editing tasks, helping you to better understand what Adobe Audition can do.
You can buy Adobe Audition for $26.80 from Adobe or sign up for a free trial. We recommend you buy this tool if you’re going to use it for professional purposes. For non-professional usage, you can use one of the free audio editors listed in this article or try the free trial version from the link below.
2. WavePad Audio
WavePad Audio is a professional audio editing software that offers more features than you’ll possibly have the time to test. You can cut, copy and paste parts of recordings, and then add effects like echo, amplification and noise reduction.
WavePad supports almost all audio files which means you can always rely on this tool to edit even the most obscure file types – WavePad can handle it.
Key features include:
- Integrated VST plugin support for access to thousands of additional tools and effects
- Batch processing allows you to apply effects and/or convert thousands of files as a single function
- Scrub, search and bookmark audio for precise editing
- Create bookmarks and regions to find, recall and assemble segments of long audio files
- Spectral analysis (FFT), speech synthesis (text-to-speech), and voice changer.
If you are looking for an audio editor that features professional-grade tools in a non-professional and very beginner-firnedly format, then Gilisoft Audio Editor is the tool for you.
You can do pretty much anything you want, including record and edit music, voice and other audio recordings. When editing audio files, you can cut, copy and paste parts of recordings, and then add effects like echo, amplification.
As far as file format goes, this program is extremely versatile, as it supports a wide range of audio formats, such as MPEG (MP3, MP2), WAV, Windows Media Audio, Ogg Vorbis, MP2, M4A, CDA, RA, RAM, TTA, Audio Tracks, Dialogic VOX, etc.
Finally, you can make the music you created your own, since the program lets you edit the MP3 tag as well, so you can imput any name in the artist or album fields of the file.
4. Image Line FL12
FL Studio is a very powerful audio editor perfect for music professionals. This tool is a software music production environment that packs all the features you need to compose, arrange, record, edit, mix and master professional quality music.
You can notice the complexity of this tool from the moment you launch it, all the features are neatly grouped into categories and the lower part of the software’s screen looks like the mix studio of a professional artist.
Key features include:
- Fits any screen size or resolution you use
- Multi-touch capability extends to the Mixer
- Multiple drag and drop for audio files onto Playlist (from a Windows file browser)
- Detachable windows: put any window, even the top menu bar where you like on the screen.
- Lifetime free updates.
Long story short, you should install FL Studio 12 only if you create or edit music, otherwise, any of the audio editors mentioned above will do.
- Download now the free version of FL Studio
- Buy one of the 3 paid software versions for:
Audacity is a free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing. This feature-rich tool is one of the most reliable and powerful audio editors currently available on the market.
It is constantly updated, and each version of Audacity will definitely bring a better user experience.
Audacity can not only edit audio files, but also record audio content. It can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, digitize recordings from other media, and also capture streaming audio.
Key features include:
- Import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings
- Export your recordings in many different file formats, including multiple files at once
- Supports the following formats: WAV, AIFF, AU, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, GSM 6.10, 32-bit and 64-bit float WAV, RF64, U/A-Law, MP2, MP3, AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC) and WMA
- Edit easily with scrubbing and seeking or Timeline Quick-Play
- Multiple clip editing is supported
- Draw tool to alter individual sample points
- Automatic crash recovery in the event of abnormal program termination
- Effects such as: noise reduction, alter frequencies, reduce or isolate vocals, other built-in effects.
You can read more about Audacity’s features on the tool‘s official page. Before you download Audacity, make sure that all enabled devices have Windows 10-compatible drivers, otherwise the audio editor may fail to function.