Fix corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows 10, 8, 8.1 in a minute
Do you have problems in using your Windows 10 , Windows 8, 8.1 Recycle Bin? If you used to have a smooth Windows 8 / Windows 8.1/ Windows 10 platform that worked without problems, but now when trying to access Recycle Bin you receive only the “corrupted” error, apply the guidelines available below to troubleshoot your Windows system.
So, if you want to fix the Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10 corrupted Recycle Bin error ‘The Recycle Bin is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?’ this step by step guide will be more than useful for you.
Now, this problem might happen due to various reasons such as unexpected force close errors, DLL issues (learn how to fix any Windows 8 / Windows 8.1/ Windows 10 DLL error by using a dedicated tutorial), incompatibility problems and more. Anyway, the result is that you can’t access the Recycle Bin for removing your files or for restoring the same in case you have accidentally erased some files from your device.
As you might know, each of your Windows drive has a dedicated system folder dubbed as $Recycle.bin. Of course this folder is hidden so you can’t see or access the same unless you check the “unhide” option under “Folder Options”.
Now, when the Recycle Bin gets corrupted the $Recycle.bin also gets corrupted and in order to resolve your problem you must fix $Recycle.bin. Doing the same is easy as you only have to run a command in cmd window. Anyway, check the steps from below for the proper troubleshooting solution.
How to fix Windows 10, 8.1 Corrupted Recycle Bin
- Clean Recycle Bin in Command Prompt
- Use the System File Checker tool
- Delete Recycle Bin in Safe Mode
- Scan your computer for malware
- Update Windows
1. Clean Recycle Bin in Command Prompt
So, on your Windows 10, Windows 10, 8, 8.1 computer open an elevate command prompt window – run cmd with administrator rights.
- In order to do so, from Start Screen right click on your Start button and select “run cmd as administrator” like in the image from below.
- Then in the cmd window type “rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin” and press enter.
- Up next reboot your computer and enjoy your new and reset Recycle Bin.
2. Use the System File Checker tool
In addition, of that isn’t working for you, open the cmd window once more and type sfc / scannow and press Enter.
The System File Checker feature will be launched on your device so just wait while your Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 system is being fixed – on that matter learn how to fix chkdsk stuck on Windows.
3. Delete Recycle Bin in Safe Mode
Sometimes, you may encountered an ‘Access denied’ error when you want to perform the actions listed above on Windows 10. So, if your Recycle Bin corrupted Windows 10 and access is denied, try enabling Safe Mode.
- Hold down the shift key and click the on-screen power button
- Select the restart option while holding the shift key
- Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > hit Restart
- Wait until Windows 10 reboots, and select Safe Mode.
- Now, try to repair your corrupted Recycle Bin again using the steps available above.
4. Scan your computer for malware
Malware may cause various issues on your computer, including Recycle Bin corruption issues. Perform a full system scan in order to detect any malware running on your computer.
5. Update Windows
Quite a few Windows 10 users confirmed that installing the latest system and driver updates solved the problem. So, go to Settings > Update & Security > click on the ‘Check for updates’ button and install all the available updates.
Good job! You have successfully fixed the corrupted Recycle Bin on your Windows 10, Windows 8.1 device. That was all for today, but stay close as we will update with similar and useful Windows tips and tricks.
Also, if you’ve got additional tips and suggestions on how to fix corrupted Recycle Bin issues, you can list them in the comments below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2014 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to free up space using Auto Recycle Bin cleaning in the Creators Update
- 5 of the best Recycle Bin cleaners for Windows 10
- Fix: Accidentally emptied the Recycle Bin in Windows 10, 8, 7
Sometimes while trying to start Steam you might encounter Steam failed to add firewall exception error. This error will prevent you from starting Steam, and […]
Microsoft’s browsers have changed a lot over the time. From the clunky UI and useless features a few years ago, to a minimalist design and […]