- Minecraft is a survival game which took the world by storm on its release back in 2009. It retains a dedicated fan base and with the Better Together update, it has added cross play between platforms.
- It looks like Minecraft has been at the forefront of innovation, now sporting hardware ray tracing and even VR!
- We've wholeheartedly jumped on the Minecraft bandwagon and we absolutely love the game. If you want to stay up to date with the latest Minecraft news, check out our dedicated Minecraft page.
- Our gaming portal is the best place to keep up to date on the latest news, guides and reviews, so make sure you bookmark it. Also, for more tutorials and, check out our how to page.
How can I cross-play Minecraft? After the Better Together update, Minecraft fully supports cross-play between PC and Xbox. If you have a Java Edition of Minecraft, you need to redeem your code on your Mojang account in order to cross-play with other platforms.
If you wondered if you can play Minecraft by using your Windows 10 PC, with your friends that play on Xbox, you’ve come to the right place. The short answer to this question is a resounding ‘Yes’, but it all depends on the version of the game you have, and also the type of platform. Read on to find out more.
How to crossplay Minecraft on PC and Xbox?
The game developers at Mojang had an incredible idea: ‘What if we give our users the ability to play across platforms?’
In a historical move, they started working on this project, and they finally did it. They released a very important update to the Minecraft edition, that allows you to play your favourite game from an Xbox One, Windows 10, Nintendo Switch, and even Android/iOS handheld devices.
This process is done by using the Better Together patch and allows you to play Minecraft with your friends easily, just like you would on Xbox Live. More information about the update can be found on the official Minecraft website.
Note: In case you bought Minecraft: Java Edition before the date of October 19th 2018, you can get Minecraft for Windows 10 for free by redeeming a code in your Mojang account. You will find this gift code by logging into your account at Mojang, and then clicking the My games section.
If you’re not sure about the exact date, you can visit your profile to check. Pressing the gift code button will generate a token, and will also open up the Microsoft redemption page.
Minecraft is one of the most well-known games to ever be created, allowing you to create and experience amazing virtual worlds from scratch. You can explore, gather resources, craft different items, and tools, and also combat.
Nowadays, if you want to cross-play Minecraft, you can do so regardless of the platform, as the game has been updated on all major platforms.
In this article, we explored some of the latest news released by Mojang relating to the cross-play ability of the latest edition of Minecraft. We also discussed a way for people that bought Minecraft: Java Edition to get a free voucher for the Windows 10 Minecraft edition.
Please feel free to let us know if you have any suggestions by using the comment section below.
FAQ: Play Cross-platform Minecraft
- Is Minecraft Better Together free?
The Minecraft Better Together update is free for people who already own an edition of Minecraft. Find out more from our Better Together coverage.
- Can you play Minecraft cross platform?
Certain versions of Minecraft will support cross-play. To learn which ones, have a look at our guide.
- Can you play Minecraft on PC and Xbox together?
Yes, Xbox and PC were the first to receive cross-platform support for Minecraft. You will need to update your Minecraft version as shown above before you can play.
- How do I play Minecraft cross platform PC and PS4?
Once you have installed the Better together update on both platforms, you can connect to the same world and play together from both PC and PlayStation.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.