This version of DirectX is not compatible with this version of Windows message usually appears when the operating system of your PC was changed or updated, or in the case that there is a conflict with the version of DirectX you’re using.
This can stop you from being able to run your favorite games and can affect the way your PC can be used as well. For these reasons, in today’s article, we will discuss the best way to deal with this issue. Read on to find out how to do it.
What to do if DirectX is not compatible with my version of Windows?
1. Check if your antivirus or Windows Defender firewall is blocking access
- Click on the Cortana search box found inside your taskbar.
- Type firewall -> select the first option from the top.
- Inside the Firewall settings -> select the option Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall (found on the left side of your screen).
- Search for ActiveX inside the list -> make sure that all connections are allowed.
- Save the settings and close the window.
Note: If you use a Firewall service from a third-party antivirus, you will need to allow the connections there as well.
2. Make sure you’re running the latest version of DirectX
- Press Win+R keys on your keyboard -> type dxdiag -> press Enter.
- Under the System tab, you will see the DirectX version installed on your PC.
- Check the version of DirectX you have.
- Click on Cortana search box -> type in Windows Update -> select the first option from the top.
- Inside the Windows Update screen -> press the Check for updates button.
- Windows will automatically download and install any DirectX updates.
3. Run sfc command in PowerShell (Admin)
- Press Win+X keys on your keyboard -> select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- Inside the PowerShell window -> type sfc /scannow -> press Enter.
- Wait for the process to complete -> close the command prompt window.
- Try to see if the issue is fixed.
4. Scan for Registry errors with CCleaner
- Visit the official CCleaner website -> download the latest version.
- Run the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation process.
- Double-click the CCleaner app from your desktop.
- Click the Registry tab from the left side menu.
- Click on Scan for issues.
- Wait for the process of analyzing to complete -> press Fix selected issues.
- Click Yes on the pop-up asking if you want a restore point created.
- Choose a location on your HDD for the backup to be created.
- Click Fix all selected issues.
- Press Close and check to see if this solves your issue.
In this article, we explored the best methods to solve the error message saying This version of DirectX is not compatible with this version of Windows.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solve your issue by using the comment section below.