Like the previous Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 operating system we have the same ribbon feature available for our new Windows 10 operating system. While some of our Windows users don’t really like having these particular sets of options in Windows Explorer I have decided to explain in a couple of lines below what you can do to disable the ribbon in the Windows 10 operating system.
Following the tutorial below will show you exactly what application you need to download and install in order to disable the ribbon in Windows 10. Also, there are some methods that you can try from within your Windows 10 operating system in order to disable this feature but downloading the application below will save you a lot more time.
How to disable the ribbon feature in Windows 10?
- First of all you will need to left click or tap on the download link posted below in order to start the download if the application.
Click here to download the application for the ribbon removal
- Wait for the download to complete and then go to the directory where the zip file was downloaded.
- Double click (left click) or tap on the archive (zip file) in order to open it.
- Extract it to the desktop of your Windows 10 operating system preferably in a new folder.
- After the extraction is completed open the folder you made on your desktop.
- Double click or tap to open the folder with the X64 version which is the one compatible with your Windows 10 operating system.
- Double click or tap on the executable file named “Ribbon Disabler2.exe”.
- You will now have in front of you a “Ribbon Disabler v2” window.
- Left click or tap on the “Disable Ribbon Explorer” feature.
- You will get a pop-up message from the user account control in which you will need to left click or tap on the “Yes” button in order to continue with the process.
- Now you will get a message that says “You have to log off to see the changes. Log off now?”.
- Left click or tap on the “Yes” button in the window presented above.
- Now log in to your Windows 10 account again.
- Check your Windows Explorer to see if the ribbon feature has been disabled.
Note: If the ribbon wasn’t disabled reboot your Windows 10 operating system and try again to see if it worked.
Note2: If you want to enable the ribbon in Windows 10 you will have to open the “Ribbon Disabler v2.exe” file again only this time you need to choose the “Enable Ribbon Explorer” feature and log off again to apply the changes.
For those of you who disabled the Ribbon in order to restart it, you might have some issues with it. One of the most common problems is ribbon not showing the title names. Another annoying issue is ribbon blinking all the time. These issues have not yet officially received a fix. On dedicated forums, there are not present fixes as well. We will be back as soon as possible with the possible fixes for them so keep an eye on our site.
You are done; you now have a method of disabling your ribbon in Windows 10 operating system in just a few minutes. You can write us below in the comments section of the page for any other questions you might have regarding this subject and we will help you as soon as possible.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.