- Discord is a must-have software for gamers, but many reported Discord high CPU usage.
- Fixing this issue is simple, and to do that, you need to adjust the Discord settings.
- Alternatively, you need to ensure that the application can use all your CPU cores.
- If you’re experiencing Discord high CPU usage when playing games, we advise you to check your Discord installation.
Discord is a great platform for chat, initially designed for gamers, however, many users reported that Discord has high CPU usage. This can be a problem and it can cause your applications to slow down.
High CPU usage can also affect other applications, such as games, and cause your performance to suffer, but you can fix this issue by following our solutions.
How do I fix the Discord high CPU usage problem?
1. Turning on or off hardware acceleration
- On the Discord app, go to User Settings.
- On the left pane scroll down to Appearance.
- Go to the bottom of the window and click on Hardware acceleration.
- Click on the Okay button.
Note: Hardware acceleration should be ON, as the graphics card will take over a part of the performance. As a result, the processor is relieved.
Many users noticed that having it on was actually causing high CPU usage in Discord, and by turning it off, the problem was fixed.
So if your hardware acceleration is on, then turning it off could help you.
2. Change the Cores your computer uses
- Type msconfig into the search bar and hit the Enter key.
- System Configuration should pop up on your screen. Click on the Boot tab.
- Click on Advanced Options button.
- Untick the box in front of Number of processors.
- Click OK and close the windows.
Note: If this option is unticked, it is telling your laptop not to limit itself to just one core of your processor.
By changing this one setting, you can fix Discord high CPU usage problems for good.
3. Download and reinstall a fresh copy of the Discord
Another common fix is to reinstall the app. Downloading a fresh version can resolve the problem, as there may be a problem with your current version.
This is a frequent solution when you are struggling with other issues. Even when having problems with other apps, you can try reinstalling it, if nothing seems to work.
Even if your processor is at 100% of its power, it won’t affect the processor itself, and it won’t create any long-lasting damage. The only issue you may have is with the processor overheating.
These are our solutions, and by following them you will manage to solve the Discord issue with high CPU usage once and for all.