How to run Microsoft Precision Racing Wheel in Windows 10
Even though it’s primarily known for the software development, Microsoft made more than one piece of hardware. Now, one of the most popular gaming wheels in the 90’s was produced by Microsoft as the part of Sidewinder project and it was compatible with Windows 98. Yes, you read it right. However, there are still users that are willing to take this ancient wheel for a ride, but on Windows 10.
For that purpose, we offer one solution that should, hopefully, enable you to run this wheel on Windows 10. There are no guarantees but it’s worth a try.
How to use Microsoft Precision Racing Wheel in Windows 10
First things first. Even though this sturdy Microsoft-produced piece of hardware is still a valid choice, that only goes for hardware. Sadly, the Microsoft Precision Racing Wheel was made ages ago and it comes with the drivers that, at the best, support Windows XP.
Now, we run into some users with have had an easy time using almost 2-decades-old hardware to play racing games on Windows 10. On the other hand, this still doesn’t mean that you’ll be able to run every given game that’s out there.
- READ ALSO: Project Cars 2 list of compatible wheels
An important thing to note is that there are no available drivers for post-XP Windows iterations. So, you can stop roaming around, searching for the valid driver. Most of them are malware. The only way to run Microsoft Precision Racing Wheel on your Windows 10 PC is to run the installer (and later the application) in the compatibility mode for Windows XP. Some users managed to make it work that way.
Update drivers automatically
If this method doesn’t work or you do not have the necessary computer skills to update/fix the drivers manually, we strongly suggest to do it automatically by using Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best automatized solution. Below you can find a quick guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Use compatibility mode
Follow these instructions to run the Microsoft Precision Racing Wheel in the compatibility mode:
- Right-click on the desktop and create a New folder.
- Insert the supporting CD you’ve got with the wheel.
- Copy all files from the supporting CD to a New folder.
- Open the folder, right-click on the Setup and open Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Check the ”Run this program in compatibility mode for:” box and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop-down menu.
- Check the ”Run this program as an administrator” box.
- Click OK.
- Run the installer and restart your PC.
That should do it. In addition, don’t worry if you’re unable to configure the wheel from the system settings. Most of the users report states that most of the essential tweaks are within the in-game settings menu.
We hope this was helpful read and you were able to use your favorite legacy wheel to enjoy the racing games just like before. Don’t forget to tell us if this helped you or to offer an alternative solution. You can do so in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Train Simulator stuck on loading screen
- Microsoft is at it again, says Edge offers better battery life than other browsers
- List of Forza Motorsport 7 compatible wheels and gamepads
- Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels bugs: black screens, FPS drops, and more
- 5 best racing wheels for Windows 10
Using a reliable password is paramount if you want to keep your data safe. There have been numerous data leak and data breach reports in […]