- Safari doesn't come with native support for Chromebooks or Linux.
- You can download and install the Safari browser for Chromebook using an emulator environment to run the browser.
- Installing Crouton is the first step that must be taken in order to have Safari on Chromebook.
Google Chrome browser is great for online shopping and accessing your Gmail and Google Docs. But if you want to use more than just the mentioned services, you’ll need another browser.
One of the best free and available browsers for download and installation is Safari. This browser is very popular and works on both desktop and mobile devices.
This web browser offers a fast, smooth experience with support for a wide range of websites and apps.
Users who want to use Safari on their Chromebook can download the app from the Chrome Web Store or use a jailbreak to install it from other sources.
The app has been designed with Chrome OS in mind and offers many of the same features as its desktop counterparts, such as bookmarks, history, and extensions.
Can I install a different browser on Chromebook?
Fortunately, you can always install a different browser, such as Safari, Firefox, or Opera. However, not all browsers are compatible with Chromebooks.
Installing a different browser for Chromebook is helpful if the default browser doesn’t work well or if you want to try other browsers to see which one you like best.
Safari is available for macOS, Windows computers, and iOS and Android devices. While Safari is not typically available on Chromebooks, there is a way to download and install it.
🖊️ Quick Tip!
If you like Safari’s security and stability, a simpler approach would be to install an alternative tool that offers dedicated apps for Chromebook.
Opera is very secure and light and has its own adblocker, a free VPN, lots of room for customization and gives you quick access to social media channels.
Have a secure and private browsing experience with dedicated support for Chromebook devices and compatible extensions.
How can I download and install Safari for Chromebook?
1. Download Crouton
- Press Ctrl + Alt + T, type shell, and press Enter to open a shell.
- Then copy the installer to an executable location and run the following command:
sudo install -Dt /usr/local/bin -m 755 ~/Downloads/crouton
- Now it’s time to run the installer itself. So, enter this command:
sudo crouton -t xfce
- Answer the prompts and you’re done.
Crouton allows you to run Ubuntu (or Debian) alongside Chrome OS on your Chromebook and have the simplicity and security of Chrome OS with the flexibility of Ubuntu.
2. Install Ubuntu Linux
- First download Ubuntu.
- Then you need to create a live USB in order to boot into Ubuntu from a USB drive.
- Now you need to boot from your live USB instead of the hard disk.
- Choose the Install Ubuntu right away option.
- Create a username and set a password.
- Remove the USB disk and restart your system.
- Now you’ll boot into Ubuntu.
3. Install Wine
- Verify the Ubuntu system and see if you’re using 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Ubuntu: Enter this command:
- Install the latest stable version of Wine.
For the 32-bit version enter:
sudo apt install wine32
For the 64-bit version enter:
sudo apt install wine64
- Verify which wine version is installed:
4. Download Safari
- Open Terminal and run the following commands:
mkdir -p ~/build/safari
- Download Safari using this command:
- Then, install it with the following command:
- After the installation ends, click the Finish button to quit the installer.
In conclusion, the Safari browser is a great alternative to the standard Chrome browser that comes installed on Chromebooks.
This web browser offers features that are not found in Chrome, such as private browsing and the ability to open multiple tabs at once.
So, if you are looking for a different browsing experience, Safari is a good option to consider.
If you wish to test the latest version of Safari on Windows 10 or 11, follow the methods in our article, which include utilizing a virtual machine.
In the comments section below, let us know if you were able to download this browser for your Chromebook.