Download the first Windows 10 20H1 Insider Preview Build
Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18836 has recently been rolled out to all the Windows Insiders who are currently in the Skip Ahead ring. The release comes along with eight known issues acknowledged by Microsoft.
Dona Sarkar, the Insider chief stated that 19H2 builds are currently on hold in the fast ring. However, new builds will be rolled out to Insiders later this spring (April 2019). If the build development process continues along its current path, Windows 10 19H2 is expected to be released in October 2019. We can expect that mainstream users to get the Windows 10 20H1 in April 2020.
Windows 10 20H1 build 18836 key changes
No new features have been offered in the first release of the 20H1 branch and the build comes with a bunch of improvements and bug fixes. It’s good to see that the software giant is working to resolve its existing bugs rather than simply releasing new features.
Speaking of changes, here’s what the next Windows 10 versions will bring new.
1. Renaming Windows Light theme
Microsoft is going to rename the Windows Light theme to Windows (Light) very soon.
2. Removal of Unknown Status
The unknown status for Virus & Threat protection will no longer be available in the Windows Security app. This bug has been inherited from the previous builds. Unlike the previous builds, the app will now be able to refresh properly.
3. Restriction to Rename, Delete, or Move MKV files
Microsoft makes sure that the MKV files should not be allowed to be renamed, deleted, or moved from the File Explorer. The reason the company is interested in restricting its users is to avoid the program to hang. The MKV files can easily be manipulated through the MKV files.
4. Hibernation Fix
Another issue has also been addressed in this release that solved the devices getting stuck on “Hibernating…” text while resuming.
Windows 10 build 18836 known issues
Microsoft has also acknowledged a handful of known issues in the recent update.
- “Launching games that use anti-cheat software may trigger a bugcheck (GSOD).
- While we’ve done some work to improve night light reliability in this build, we’re continuing to investigate issues in this space.
- When performing Reset this PC and selecting Keep my files on a device that has Reserved Storage enabled the user will need to initiate an extra reboot to ensure Reserved Storage is working again properly.
- Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
- File Explorer may hang when trying to rename, delete, or move MKV files.
- In Windows Sandbox, if you try to navigate to the Narrator settings, Settings app crashes.
- Creative X-Fi sound cards are not functioning properly. We are partnering with Creative to resolve this issue.”
How To Get Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18836
All the Insiders who are currently in the Skip Ahead ring can simply check for new updates by navigating to Update & Security >> Windows Update in the Settings menu.
Apart from the above mentioned known issues, you might come across some other issues while installing the update. Once installed you will not be able to revert the changes.
If you are not yet ready to face the bugs, it is recommended that you should avoid installing the Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18836 on your production machine.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT: