How to Prevent New Windows 10 Build Installs
As you probably noticed, Microsoft is installing new Windows 10 Technical Preview builds automatically via Windows Update. But if you don’t like this approach, and you want to stick with your current build, you can disable automatic installation of a new build with a couple of registry tweaks.
How to stop Insider builds on Windows 10
Method 1: Tweak your Registry
- Go to Search, type regedit and open Registry Editor
- Go to the following key:
- Within RecoveredFor, create a new DWORD vaule named after the number of the build available in the Windows Update which you don’t want to install (For example, if you’re running a build 10074, and you want to prevent 100125 build from installing, create a DWORD value named 100125). Set the values as shown on the picture below:
Now your Windows 10 Technical Preview build won’t be updated to the next build. If you eventually change your mind, just delete this value and your system will be able to update again. If you’re not sure in what you’re doing you can download this sample Registry file crated by WinAero, and it will do all the work for you.
Method 2: Stop the Windows Update Service
If you’re not feeling too comfortable tweaking your Registry, you can use another method. Since new Windows 10 builds are delivered directly via Windows Update, all you need to do to block them is to stop the Windows Update Service.
Of course, there are several ways to do that:
- You can use the Services App, right-click on Windows Update and select End Task
- You can also set up a metered connection
- Or you can defer updates (the option is available on Windows 10 Pro only).
For more information, you can check out this guide. Although the guide has been written for the Windows 10 OS, the same solutions apply when it comes to blocking new Insider builds as well.
Method 3: Leave the Insider Program
Of course, if you’re sure you don’t want to test new builds in the future, you can simply leave the Insider Program.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to Make ISO Installs for Windows 10 Builds
- FIX: Microsoft Store not working on Windows 10 Insider builds
- Full Fix: Your Insider preview build settings need attention
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Teamviewer is one of the best remote assistance applications, but many users reported that Teamviewer clipboard synchronization is not working. This can be a big […]
Google Earth is incredibly useful software, but some users reported Myplaces.kml not responding message. This error could be caused by either myplaces.kml being damaged, either […]
Realtek HD Audio Manager is one of the most popular audio drivers available. It provides DTS, Dolby and Surround Sound support for the user’s audio […]