How to download Windows 10 MySQL ODBC driver and configure it
ODBC stands for Open Database Connectivity. This is an API that acts as a bridge between your operating system and database management system such as MySQL. You’ll need to have the Windows 10 MySQL ODBC driver to access MySQL databases. With that driver you can then use your databases with numerous applications. So this is how you can install and configure the Windows 10 MySQL ODBC driver after installing the MySQL server.
- Firstly, open this page on the MySQL website.
- Select Microsoft Windows from the Select Platform drop-down menu.
- Then click the Download button beside either Windows (x86, 64-bit), MSI Installer or Windows (x86, 32-bit), MSI Installer depending on the Windows version you. For example, if it’s 32-bit system click Windows (x86, 32-bit), MSI Installer.
- Now open the MySQL ODBC driver setup wizard to install it.
- Next, you’ll need to configure the driver connection in Windows. Type “set up ODBC” into the Cortana search box and then select Set up ODBC Data Sources to open the window in the snapshot below.
- Click the System DSN tab and then press the Add button to open the window in the snapshot below.
- Next, double-click a MySQL ODBC driver from that list and click Finish to open the window below.
- Enter an ID in the Data Source Name text box to identify the data source.
- If you’ve installed MySQL instance on the same PC you’re setting up the ODBC driver on, you can enter ‘localhost’ as the TCP/IP Server name. Enter IP addresses there for remote MySQL servers.
- Enter ‘root’ into the username field. That gives you default access to databases without needing to enter passwords.
- Now press the Test button to confirm a connection. A window will pop up stating, “Connection was made.”
- Finally, choose a database to link through the connection from the Database drop-down menu.
- Click OK to close the window. The System DSN tab now includes the connection.
So that’s how you can download and configure the MySQL ODBC driver in Windows for a local MySQL server. Configuration for a remote MySQL server is similar, except that a grant permission command and password are usually required.
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]