Some Outlook users have posted on the Microsoft forum about a data file is out of disk space error message that pops up. The full error message states: The drive that contains your data file is out of disk space. Empty the Deleted Items folder or create space on the drive by removing some of your files. Access is denied. Users can’t receive any emails in Outlook when that error arises.
How can Users Fix the Data File is out of Disk Space Error?
1. Empty the Recycle Bin
Some users have said that they fixed the data file is out of disk space error by clearing the Recycle Bin, which will free up disk space. Click the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop. Then click the Empty Recycle Bin button to delete everything in it.
2. Set up a New Outlook Profile
- Another confirmed fix is to set up a new Outlook profile. To do that, launch Run by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Input ‘Control Panel’ in the Open box and click OK.
- Click the Control Panel > button to select All Control Panel Items.
- Then click Mail to open Mail Setup.
- Press the Show Profiles button, and click Add on the General tab.
- Enter a profile title in the New Profile window, and click the OK button.
- Then fill out the text boxes on the Add Account window.
- Press the Finish button.
- On the Mail window, click the Always use this profile option.
- Then select the new profile to be the default one for Outlook.
- Click the Apply and OK buttons.
3. Set Up a New Outlook Data File
- Setting up a new Outlook data file might also resolve the data file is out of disk space error. To do so, click the New Items button in Outlook.
- Select More Items and the Outlook Data File option.
- Then enter a file title for the data file.
- Users can enter an optional password by selecting the Add optional password option.
- Press the OK button.
- Users can then select the new data file to be the default one for Outlook by opening Mail from the Control Panel.
- Click the Data Files button in the Mail Setup window.
- Then select the new PST file on the Data Files tab.
- Click the Set as Default option.
- Click the Close button.
4. Convert the C: Drive to NTFS Format
- Converting a FAT32 hard drive to the NTFS format is another potential fix for the data file is out of disk space error.
- First, open File Explorer by pressing the Windows key + E hotkey.
- Right-click the C: drive to select Properties.
- The General tab directly above tells users if their HDDs are FAT32 hard drives. If so, open the Run accessory.
- Input ‘cmd’ in Run and click OK to open the Command Prompt.
- Enter ‘convert c: /fs:ntfs’ in the Command Prompt and press Return.
Those are a some of the confirmed resolutions for the data file is out of disk space error. Aside from those fixes, deleting emails and compacting the PST file might also fix the issue for some users.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix Outlook error 0x8004060c
- How to fix Outlook error 0x80042109 on Windows 10
- How to fix Outlook error 0x800CCC13 on Windows PCs
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.