A lot of Outlook users utilize that application’s calendar to schedule appointments. Outlook’s default appointment duration time is 30 minutes. However, what if the duration of the appointment must be shorter? Some users might need to schedule shorter appointment times in Outlook. Users who need to schedule shorter appointments can change the default appointment time as follows.
How Outlook Users can Shorten the Default Appointment Duration Time
1. Adjust the Default Time Scale Settings
- First, open the Outlook application.
- Click Calendar to switch to the calendar view.
- Select the View tab.
- Then press the View Settings button.
- Users utilizing Outlook 2007 will need to click the View menu. Then select the Current View and Customize Current View options on the menu.
- Press the Other Settings button on the Advanced View Settings window.
- Then click the Time Scale drop-down menu.
- Select 15 minutes, or less, as the default duration for scheduled appointments in Outlook.
- There are also some additional formatting options there that users can select to adjust the calendar fonts. Click the Font button to change the font for calendar appointments.
- Press the OK buttons to exit the windows.
- Alternatively, users can change appointment lengths in Outlook by clicking the Time Scale button on the View tab. Then select 15 minutes or less on the drop-down menu.
- Users can also select a Change Time Zone to adjust the time zone the calendar displays for an appointment if required.
2. Set Up a Macro
Users who need to select a duration not included on the Time Scale drop-down can set up a macro that shortens Outlook appointment. To do that, press the Alt + F11 hotkey; and click ThisOutlookSession on the left of the macro editor window. Then copy and paste this VB code into the macro editor with the Ctrl + C (copy) and Ctrl + V (paste) hotkeys:
Private WithEvents objInspectors As Outlook.Inspectors
Private WithEvents objAppointment As Outlook.AppointmentItem
Private Sub Application_Startup()
Set objInspectors = Outlook.Application.Inspectors
Private Sub objInspectors_NewInspector(ByVal Inspector As Inspector)
If TypeOf Inspector.CurrentItem Is AppointmentItem Then
Set objAppointment = Inspector.CurrentItem
Private Sub objAppointment_Open(Cancel As Boolean)
‘Set the default duration of new appointment
If objAppointment.CreationTime = #1/1/4501# Then
objAppointment.Duration = “15”
Private Sub objAppointment_PropertyChange(ByVal Name As String)
‘When you disable the “All Day Event”
‘Change the default duration of the current appointment
If Name = “AllDayEvent” Then
If objAppointment.AllDayEvent = False Then
objAppointment.Duration = “15”
The macro above changes appointment durations to 15 minutes. Users will need to edit the objAppointment.Duration values in the macro to change the duration to a shorter time period. For example, the objAppointment.Duration value would be 7 for a seven minute appointment.
After pasting the above code into the macro editor, click the disk button to save the code. Users can also select the Notifications for all macros option on the Trust Center’s Macro settings tab. Then users can select an Enable Macros option to launch Outlook with the appointment duration macro enabled.
So, changing the default appointment duration in Outlook is straightforward. Thereafter, users can schedule appointments shorter than 30 minutes as required.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT: