- An alarming number of users complain that Edge, the popular net browser signed by Microsoft, suddenly stops working when using a VPN.
- In this article, we'll show you some potential fixes that will get Microsoft Edge up and running, even while you're using your favorite VPN.
- If you want a privacy boost, we have the best VPNs you can use on Windows 10.
- Visit the How To page to learn more , or check out VPN to read the latest news and updates.
Using a VPN has been proven to eliminate, or at least curb privacy issues when we go online. Using a VPN creates a secure tunnel that all your traffic is routed through. Therefore, your online whereabouts are between you and your PC.
However, sometimes even foolproof solutions such as VPN can fail. For instance, an alarming number of users complain that Edge, the popular net browser signed by Microsoft, suddenly stops working when using a VPN. On Windows 10, to be more specific.
In the following sections, we’re going to see what can be done in this situation. But first, you have to make sure of the following:
- You’re using the latest version of Microsoft Edge
- Your VPN has been updated to its latest version
- The Windows 10 version on your PC has been updated to the latest version
If you’ve checked everything off this list and Edge still won’t work, it’s time to see some potential fixes to your situation.
Edge doesn’t work over VPN? We’ll teach you how to fix it
1. Disable default gateway on remote network
- Go to the Settings app
- Access Network and Internet
- Select Change adapter options
- Right-click your VPN adapter and click Properties
- Access its Networking tab
- Select Internet Protocol version 4
- Click Properties
- In the new window click the Advanced button
- Make sure that Use default gateway on remote network is not selected
2. Change your VPN media status settings
- Head to your network connections
- Right-click your VPN connection
- Select Properties
- Click the Configure button
- Go to the Advanced tab
- Select the Media Status option in the Property list
- Set it to Always Connected from the Value dropdown menu
- Click OK
3. Use a stable, efficient VPN provider
- Download Private Internet Access
- Install it on your PC
- Connect to the desired server
- Launch Edge
- Access your favorite websites
PIA is an excellent VPN service that passed all of our tests with flying colors. In case you can’t make Microsoft Edge connect to the Internet while using a VPN, try giving PIA a try. We experienced no such issue and we bet you won’t, either.
Private Internet Access
Microsoft Edge doesn't work while your VPN is active? Use PIA if you want to avoid this unfortunate situation.
Not only it doesn’t trigger errors, but it also provides you with an unmatched level of security and privacy, offers high-speed servers and can unblock a broad variety of geo-restricted services.
FAQ: Learn more about Edge not working with VPN
- What is the best VPN that works with Edge?
PIA is, without a doubt, the best VPN that Microsoft Edge has no issue with. You can launch it, connect to your server of choice and forget it’s even there. You won’t encounter any disturbances in your daily activities while using this VPN.
- What are the best VPN services for Windows 10?
If you like having multiple choices, we’ve prepared a list of the best VPNs you can use on Windows 10. All of the products on the list have been carefully handpicked and will surely meet all of your privacy needs.
- Does Windows 10 have its own VPN?
Yes, Windows 10 has a built-in VPN provider, but you will have to create a network manually for it to work. Thus, configuring it might be somewhat complicated, especially if you’re a novice.