- Some users complain that Edge can suddenly stop working when using a VPN.
- The quickest and most obvious way to fix it would be turning the VPN off.
- However, having a VPN can protect your privacy and secure your connection.
- Check out our guide below if you want to make Edge work again with your trusted VPN.
Using a VPN has been proven to eliminate or at least curb privacy issues when we go online. A VPN creates a secure tunnel that all your traffic is routed through. Therefore, your online whereabouts are between you and your PC.
However, sometimes even foolproof solutions such as VPN can fail. Even the best corporate VPNs are flawed. For instance, an alarming number of users complain that Edge, the popular net browser signed by Microsoft, suddenly stops working when using a VPN. On Windows 10, to be more specific.
In the following sections, we’re going to see what can be done in this situation. But first, you have to make sure of the following:
- Microsoft Edge is updated to the latest version.
- Your VPN has been updated to its latest version
- Your computer has the latest Windows updates.
If you’ve checked everything off this list and Edge still won’t work, it’s time to see some potential fixes to your situation.
- Private Internet Access - Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
- NordVPN - Secure multiple devices and enjoy stable connections anywhere.
- SurfShark - Price convenient VPN service with all-rounded security features.
- CyberGhost - Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
- ExpressVPN - Browse the web from multiple devices with increased security protocols.
How do I make Edge work with my VPN?
1. Disable default gateway on remote network
- Go to the Settings app
- Access Network and Internet
- Select Change adapter options
- Right-click your VPN adapter and click Properties
- Access its Networking tab
- Select Internet Protocol version 4
- Click Properties
- In the new window click the Advanced button
- Make sure that Use default gateway on remote network is not selected
2. Change your VPN media status settings
- Head to your network connections
- Right-click your VPN connection
- Select Properties
- Click the Configure button
- Go to the Advanced tab
- Select the Media Status option in the Property list
- Set it to Always Connected from the Value dropdown menu
- Click OK
3. Use a stable, efficient VPN provider
- Download Private Internet Access
- Install it on your PC
- Connect to the desired server
- Launch Edge
- Access your favorite websites
PIA is an excellent VPN service that passed all of our tests with flying colors. In case you can’t make Microsoft Edge connect to the Internet while using a VPN, try giving PIA a try. We experienced no such issue and we bet you won’t, either.
Not only it doesn’t trigger errors, but it also provides you with an unmatched level of security and privacy, offers high-speed servers, and can unblock a broad variety of geo-restricted services.
Private Internet Access
Microsoft Edge doesn't work while your VPN is active? Use PIA if you want to avoid this unfortunate situation.
In conclusion, if you’re having trouble with your VPN connection on Microsoft Edge, try the hassle-free solutions above and get back to viewing your favorite websites in no time.
And, if you’re having trouble with slow VPN connections, don’t panic since you can easily fix those, too. It’s nothing out of the ordinary since even corporate VPNs are sometimes slow.
Your connection is not secure - websites you visit can find out your details:
- Your IP Address:
Companies can sell this information, alongside your location and internet provider name, and profit from it by serving targeted ads or monitoring your data usage.
We recommend Private Internet Access, a VPN with a no-log policy, open source code, ad blocking and much more; now 79% off.
Frequently Asked Questions
PIA is, without a doubt, the best VPN that Microsoft Edge has no issue with. You can launch it, connect to your server of choice and forget it’s even there. You won’t encounter any disturbances in your daily activities while using this VPN.
If you like having multiple choices, we’ve prepared a list of the best VPNs for Windows 10. All of the products on the list have been carefully handpicked and will surely meet all of your privacy needs.
Yes, Windows 10 has a built-in VPN provider, but you will have to create a network manually for it to work. Thus, configuring it might be somewhat complicated, especially if you’re a novice.
A corporate VPN ensures organizations with superior security features against cyber threats. It also allows employees to remotely connect to the office. Find out more about how corporate VPN works.