- Microsoft Edge is the newest web browser from Microsoft, and unlike Internet Explorer, it uses the Chromium engine.
- Because the latest version is always important, we will show you how you can update Microsoft Edge.
- To read more about this amazing tool, check out our dedicated Edge Hub.
- For more helpful tutorials and guides, go to our How-To page.
In order to keep your PC safe, it’s crucial that you keep your software up to date. Updating third-party software is easy, but what about built-in software such as Microsoft Edge? This isn’t as hard as you think, and today we’re going to show you how to upgrade to the latest version of Edge on Windows 10.
Windows 10 brought a new browser called Microsoft Edge. This is a default browser in Windows 10 designed to replace Internet Explorer. Of course, Internet Explorer is still available for users that want to use it.
Unlike its predecessor, Microsoft Edge is designed to be a modern web browser and it fully supports modern web standards.
Microsoft Edge is a core component of Windows 10, and there’s no way to download it separately and use it on any other version of Windows.
This also means that Microsoft Edge updates a bit differently than other web browsers. With many non-Microsoft browsers, you have an update button available that you can press and check for available updates.
In addition, you can also download the new version of the browser right from the manufacturer and install it on your system in order to upgrade your browser. As we already said, Microsoft Edge isn’t available for download, but there’s still a way to update it.
Before updating Edge, we recommend you first try Opera instead. It is just as modern as Edge, it is based on the same Chromium engine as Edge and Google Chrome, and it comes with plenty of tools that make it worthwhile.
For example, Opera’s UI can be customized in a variety of ways using either built-in tools or the wide library of extensions that it has.
More so, it comes with a pre-build VPN and ad-blocker, so it doesn’t just move fast and look nice, but it lets you browse in private.
All things considered, if you love Microsoft Edge just because of the Chromium engine, might as well go for a browser that has some extra tools to offer.
OperaGet the most out of what the Chromium engine has to offer with the help of this fantastic web browser, available for free!
How to upgrade to the latest version of Edge?
The original Microsoft Edge
Use Windows Update
- Press Windows Key + S and enter edge.
- Select Microsoft Edge from the list of results.
- When Edge opens, click the Menu button in the top right corner and choose Settings.
- Scroll all the way down to About this app section.
- Check the version of Microsoft Edge.
Updating Microsoft Edge is simple enough, and in order to do it you just need to run Windows Update. Windows updates are usually installed automatically, but you can also check for updates manually.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app. You can do that by press Windows Key + I.
- When the Settings app opens, go to Update & security section.
- Now click the Check for updates button and wait while the available updates are downloaded.
- After the updates are properly installed, check if your Microsoft Edge is updated to the latest version.
The newer Chromium Edge
1. Download the latest version from Microsoft
- Go to the Microsoft Edge website
- Download the installer
- Proceed to follow the on-screen instruction to install the program.
Note: The installer will always provide you with the latest available version of Microsoft Edge.
2. Update an already installed version of Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge
- Open the settings menu (the three-dotted icon)
- Move your mouse over Help and feedback
- Select About Microsoft Edge
- Edge will now automatically scan for newer versions, and automatically apply the latest updates if any are found.
Keep in mind that some major updates might not be available for you yet, so you’ll have to wait until those updates are available for your region.
Updating Microsoft Edge to the latest version in Windows 10 is simple, and in most cases you just have to wait for Windows Update to download the necessary updates. If you want, you can also check for updates manually.