- The error code 0xc1900209 occurs more often when you are performing a Windows Update.
- The Windows Update error 0xc1900209 is caused by a software compatibility issue in Windows.
- You can fix the issue by using a dedicated software like the one recommended below.
- The error can also be tackled by using a certain debugging kit from Microsoft.
You are likely to encounter Error code 0xC1900209 when using Windows Update or trying to upgrade your operating system.
This happens because an application in Windows 10 is causing compatibility issues, thus blocking the update or upgrade process.
Now let’s see what are the most convenient ways for you to tackle this error and get on with your activity.
As an incompatible application is causing this error, deleting it should fix the problem. Nevertheless, finding out which program is the incompatible one can be more difficult than it seems at first glance.
Shooting in the dark and uninstalling programs at random to see if the error still persists is very impractical. Thankfully, there are tools you can use to identify them.
How can I fix the Windows 10 Update error C1900209?
1. Use a third-party software to fix the error
Windows Update issues are extremely diverse and sometimes it’s impossible to pinpoint the cause of the error.
That means that the troubleshooting soon becomes time consuming and tedious. Luckily, in this case you have our guide to indicate exactly what you need to do but even so, the manual process can be tricky for most.
However, there is a quicker and easier way of fixing this problem by using a dedicated third-party solution that can clear the problem automatically.
Windows Update is meant to improve the overall performance of your operating system, integrate new features, and even upgrade the existing ones. However, there are times when certain errors may occur out of the blue.
Thankfully, if you happen to run into such issues, there is a specialized Windows repair software that can help you solve them in no time, and it is called Restoro.
This is how you can fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for the application to find any system stability issues and possible malware infections.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
After the process is completed your computer should work perfectly fine and you will no longer have to worry about Windows Update errors of any kind.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Use the Windows Assessment and Development Kit (ADK)
2.1 Download and install SQL Server
- Download Microsoft SQL Server from Microsoft’s website. The ADK will use a SQL Server database to store its entries so you can’t go further without installing this.
- Open the SQL Server installer.
- The installer gives you three options to install SQL Server. The easiest and fastest way is to go with Basic, so choose that.
- Click on accept when you are presented with the license agreement.
- Click on install and wait until the installation is finished.
In order to install the ADK, you will first need to install the SQL Server as shown in the steps above.
2.2 Download and install the ADK
- Download the ADK installer.
- Open the ADK installer. Click on Next twice and agree to the terms of the license agreement.
- Now on the Select the features you want to install window, make sure to select Application Compatibility Tools and deselect everything else because that’s the only tool we’ll be using.
- Wait for the installer to finish.
Now you are ready to install the Windows Assessment and Development Kit in order to find and fix any compatibility issues.
2.3 Use the ADK to detect compatibility issues and fix them
- Search for Compatibility Administrator in Start and run the application.
- Click on Search in the menu bar and choose Fixed Programs… from the list.
- Click on the Find Now button and wait until the application has finished the search. This goes through the folder where your programs are stored and matches them against the database of a known application list with compatibility issues. In the end, the program will come up with a list of applications in the bottom pane.
- Double click on an item from the list.
- It will take you back to the main section of the program with an entry being selected. Right-click on the selected item and copy it.
- Go through the list until you find an entry titled New Database under Custom Databases.
- Right-click on New Database and paste the copied entry.
- Repeat steps 4-7 for each item on the list.
- Only if you have a 64-bit Windows: In your version of Windows, programs are not only stored in the Program Files folder, but also in the Program Files (x86) folder. That’s why you must also search for compatibility issues in there. Click on Browse in the top right corner and select Program Files (x86) folder or, even easier, just add (x86) before the last dash in the File(s) to search bar. Now repeat steps 3-8 again for this folder.
Microsoft has provided this tool to help you with large-scale deployment of Windows. How can this help you? It contains tools that can identify and fix app compatibility issues.
There you go, we hope that this quick solution helped you to fix the Microsoft error code 0xc1900209. If you’re looking for the best tools to fix Windows update issues, here are our top picks.
If you’ve come across other workarounds to fix it, let us know in the comments section below.