- Windows Update reset script can come in handy when you encounter update issues.
- The script will automatically reset all services associated with Windows Update.
- Thanks to this script, the entire process is automated and faster than manually restarting each service.
- Windows 10 update reset script is available for download, but you can also create your own in a matter of minutes.
As you probably know, Windows 10 is all about updates, and updates are an essential part of this operating system.
Updates have become an invaluable part of our computer use as we have had new Windows operating systems.
New drivers for the computer’s hardware components, known bug fixes, security patches, and significant improvements and upgrades are all possible with updates.
But, many users are facing various problems with Windows Update, which prevent them from receiving the latest features and improvements from Microsoft.
What does the Windows Update reset script do?
If you want to use the Windows update script, you should be aware that it performs the following tasks:
- Re-registers all your Windows update files
- Reset network connections on the OS
- Gets rid of older OS update folders
All your OS services that are connected with updates will be reset. Using this script is fast and convenient and is a preferred option for restarting services.
If any of the three above points are what you hope to achieve, then you should go ahead and use the script.
Can I run Windows Update reset script in PowerShell?
Yes, you can run this script in any command line tool, and by doing so, you can fix various issues such as Windows Update button not showing on Windows.
You can always manually reset these components, but using a script is faster, especially if Windows update cannot currently check for updates.
If by any chance Windows PowerShell has stopped working on your PC, you can always use Command Prompt to run this script.
How can I use Windows Update reset script?
1. Download the script
Here’s how to download the script with the Windows update reset script for computers running Windows 10. You may also run the Windows Update reset script on Powershell.
All you need to do is to run the reset Windows Update script, and everything will be automatically reset. It even works on older versions of Windows, so its use is not limited to Windows 10.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
This script comes from a third-party source, and we’re not responsible for any potential damage that can occur after using it.
- Visit the link to download the script.
2. Once the download is done, right-click on the zip file and select Extract All.
3. Open the file, right-click on the WUReset file, and select Run as administrator.
4. Wait for the script to execute completely.
This simple batch script resets all Windows Update components, like the SoftwareDistribution folder, BTS service, Cryptographic Services, etc.
2. Create the script manually
- If you wonder How do I manually reset Windows updates?, open Notepad.
- Paste the following text into Notepad:
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
attrib -h -r -s %windir%system32catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%system32catroot2*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%system32catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo Task completed successfully...
- Now click on File, then Save as, and save the file as WUReset.bat.
- To run the script, right-click on it and click on Run as Administrator.
With this solution, you will create and use a very easy Windows update reset batch script.
3. Use the Windows Update Reset Github script
- If you wonder How do I download Windows Update reset tool?, navigate to the Github page of the Reset Windows Update Tool (Script).
- Expand the dropdown list on the Code button and click Download ZIP.
- Once the download is done, right-click on the zip file and select Extract all.
- Open the file, right-click on the ResetWUEng file, and select Run as administrator.
This Windows Update reset tool is an easy and efficient update solution.
Does Windows Update reset registry?
Several pieces of data in your Windows Registry describe how the OS functions and your system’s registry is often affected by changes you make, so it frequently modifies, adds, and deletes the information.
That said, Windows may be reset by reinstalling the OS, which by default resets the registry. And unless you start individually resetting registry items, it is the only way your registry will be reset.
Therefore, NO, an update won’t wholly reset your registry.
If you are wondering how to reset Windows Update components in Windows 10, there you have it.
We hope that this script will save you a lot of time and work if you already have problems with Windows Update.
But if even Windows Update Reset Script doesn’t solve the issue, you probably have some more serious problems, if that’s the case, you can tell us in the comments, and we’ll try to assist you further.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.