A large number of users have encountered the error Your file system is not supported by Box Sync, whenever they try to upload some files to the Box servers.
This error doesn’t give you too many details that you can do research on, so users end up feeling like they are using a service that only works sometimes.
This can cause frustration in the long run, considering that the reason for using Box at all, is the need to have access to your files whenever and wherever.
The error is most likely caused due to a conflict between the Box application and some of your computer’s registry data.
In today’s fix article we will discuss the best methods you can try to fix this issue once and for all. Please follow the steps carefully to avoid any other issues. Read on to find out how to do it.
How can I fix Your file system isn’t supported by Box Sync error?
1. Check if the file type is actually supported
The type of files that Box Sync ignores or blocks are files that are invisible in Windows Explorer (temporary or system files).
Here are some of the most common examples of files that can’t be uploaded:
- temporary files or folders (.tmp)
- backup copies of files (.bak)
- shortcuts created in Windows Explorer
- system and hidden files
- file names that contain special characters
- web-based documents
If you want to see a complete list of formats and file types that are compatible with the Box Sync app, you can visit the official Box community forums.
2. Uninstall and reinstall Box Sync
- Press the Win+X keys on your keyboard -> select Apps and features.
- Inside the Apps and features window -> search for Box Sync in the list.
- Select it and click on the Uninstall button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process.
- Delete the remaining Box Sync folders found at these locations on your hard-drive: C:\Users\USERNAME\Box Sync; and C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Loca\lBox Sync.
Note: It is recommended that you do not delete the Box Sync folder if it contains files that haven’t already been synced to the servers. If you don’t want to delete the folder, you can simply rename it as ‘Box Sync Old’ to avoid confusion.
- Download either Box Sync 64 BIT, or the 32 BIT version.
- Open the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
3. Try using the web version
If you keep getting this error, try using the web version of Box to upload files as a workaround.
You can do this with any browser, but we recommend using UR Browser since it’s privacy and security oriented.
UR Browser offers privacy and tracking protection features, as well as a built-in malware scanner and VPN, so it’s definitely a browser you should try out.
In today’s article, we explored the best troubleshooting methods to deal with the ‘ Your file system is not supported by Box Sync ‘ error. We hope that these methods managed to solve your issue.
Please feel free to let us know if it did by using the comment section found below this article.
- What to do if Xbox is unable to sync data [EXPERT FIX]
- We can’t sync your data with the cloud right now [FIX]
- Windows Media Player not syncing all music [FIXED]