Fingerprint payment will soon be available on Windows computers
Thanks to a collaboration between Lenovo, Intel, Synaptics and PayPal, the day is nearing when authenticated payments using fingertips instead of passwords are mainstream. The four companies teamed up to bring secure online payments to PCs using fingerprint authentication and as such, have enabled Lenovo users to validate online FIDO-enabled services such as PayPal using their fingerprints instead of passwords and codes.
The latest technology uses the embedded security features of seventh generation Intel core processors, the strong hardware specifications of Lenovo products bundled with encryption and biometric authentication features of Synaptics’ fingerprint readers, whereas the payment authentication system and processing are under the purview of PayPal. The configuration of the infrastructure is quite technically dense:
- The 7th gen Intel Core processor have built–in Software Guard Extensions (SGX) which establishes a strong footing for hardware-protected biometric authentication processes which are needed for FIDO services and biometric information.
- The Synaptics Natural ID fingerprint sensor is embedded with high-level security features including TLS 1.2 encryption. The SentryPoint features provide intense security aspects to the Synaptics’ Natural ID Fingerprint Solution, which includes TLS 1.2 encryption and anti-spoofing algorithms.
- And Paypal is contributing with their domain feature – powering the software with their unique authentication network making payments more secure and expedient.
- Lenovo is using Natural ID and Intel Core processors on their PCs, and all the while doing it with extreme proficiency – capture user credentials quickly and securely, which are encrypted and stored in device hardware which makes them less prone to malware and hacking attempts.
The company further elaborated that the biometric authentication system is founded on security standards created by the FIDO Alliance, a syndicate working to ensure modern security technologies like fingerprint and iris authentications work across various devices.
As of now, many modern devices are embedded with biometric authentication mechanisms like fingerprint sensors and scanners for making online payments through systems like PayPal. The company recently listed several Samsung mobile devices like the Galaxy S5, Note 4, and Tab S tablet just to name a few that are fingerprint compatible.
The average user has to remember passwords for many different accounts, from PC log-in, email to online shopping. We wanted to help change that by freeing users from the burden of remembering complex passwords by providing a simple authentication solution.
We’re excited to be the first PC company to partner with Intel, PayPal, and Synaptics to bring users simpler and safer online authentication based on the released FIDO standards, through fingerprint readers designed for improved security on our laptops starting with the Yoga 910 convertible.
Still, the company did not clarify when a laptop computer embedded with fingerprint authentication technology for online payments will be available.
Cyber Security campaigners have traditionally emphasized the need biometric technologies like fingerprint scanners for enhanced security measures. Such modern advances will create hard-hitting targets for hackers and ultimately be beneficial for consumer security, saving them from the hassle of updating and changing their passwords after every few weeks to ensure robust security.
A recent hack on Yahoo compromised over 500 million of its user account credentials and the hackers who reportedly ruptured Yahoo’s security mechanism got their hands on tons of user information like passwords, phone numbers, email addresses, and birth dates. Such security breaches further emphasize the need for advanced security infrastructures like what Lenovo and company are cooking up.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Wallet for Windows 10 Mobile brings contactless mobile payments to Insiders
- Fix: Your purchase couldn’t be completed error on Windows 10
- Hackers can exploit Safe mode in Windows to launch security attacks
Visualization is crucial in Power BI. Therefore, this feature should run smoothly. But this is not always the case. Many users reported various visual errors […]
All the Windows laptops come with the hotkeys to increase and decrease the display brightness. If that does not work, you can use the brightness […]