Firewalls monitor network traffic and can block network connections for some programs and hardware. Windows 10 includes its own Windows Defender Firewall that might block Brother printers and other models for some users. Thus, the affected users can’t utilize their Brother printers when firewalls block them.
Why is Windows Firewall blocking my printer?
1. Turn Off the Windows 10 Firewall
- The most obvious, and perhaps straightforward, way to stop Windows Defender Firewall blocking a printer is to turn off WDF. Users can do that in Windows 10 by clicking the Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Then enter ‘Windows Defender Firewall’ as the search keyword for the firewall’s Control Panel applet.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open that Control Panel applet window.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the options shown directly below.
- Then select the two Turn off Windows Defender Firewall radio buttons to turn off the WDF.
- Press the OK button.
2. Set Up Inbound Rules for Brother Printer Ports
- However, users can open the WDF’s ports for Brother printers to remove the firewall block without turning the firewall off. To do that, users need to set up inbound rule exceptions by clicking Advanced settings on the Windows Defender Firewall Control Panel applet.
- Next, click Inbound Rules on the window shown directly below.
- Select New Rule on the right of the WDF Advanced Security window to open the New Inbound Rule Wizard.
- Select the Port option, and click the Next button.
- Select the UDP option.
- Then click Specific local ports.
- Next, enter ‘54925’ in the text box, which is the external and internal port number for Brother network scanning.
- Press the Next button.
- Select the Allow the connection option, and click the Next button.
- Select all the profile check boxes, and click the Next button.
- The enter a title for the new rule. Users can also add some extra rule details in the other text box.
- Press the Finish button.
- Repeat the above steps to set up two more inbound rules for Brother port numbers 137 (for printing and remote setup) and 54926 (network PC fax).
3. Install MFL-Pro Suite
However, users should not need to set up inbound port rules for Brother printers when they’ve installed the MFL-Pro Suite. That software will automatically configure the firewall settings as required for Brother printers.
Users can install MFL-Pro Suite with a CD-ROM that comes with Brother printers. Alternatively, click the Click here link on the Install the MFL-Pro Suite page to download a setup wizard for that software.
4. Check the File and Printer Sharing Firewall Permission Setting
- Some users might also need to check the File and Printer Sharing firewall permission setting. To do that, open the Windows Defender Firewall Control Panel applet.
- Click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall to open the permission options below.
- Press the Change settings button.
- Select all the check boxes for the File and Printer Sharing setting.
- Select the OK option.
So, that’s how users can fix WDF blocking Brother printers. Then users can print and scan with their printers as required.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Brother printer won’t scan on Windows 10
- How to open firewall ports in Windows 10 [Step-by-step guide]
- How to align printer cartridges in Windows 10